Electronic Vs Paper Flashcards

Hi,

Any thoughts on electronic vs paper flashcards?

I honestly think it depends on the age of the child! When my daughter was tiny she would happily sit and watch as many flash cards as I could how her, laughing and bouncing up and down! When she started to get older, it wasn’t enough! She absolutely demanded contol! She wanted to hold them, touch, them, became distracted by the inability! I finally went to a mix! We LOVE the YBCR sliding cards because they are sturdy and completely interactive. In fact, this is how I first became aware she was recognizing words:
she repeatedly picked out her favorite word at the time, ‘hat’, from a stack of 82 double-sided cards and waved it around. I actually thought it was a fluke, completely a lucky event, and re-buried it in the stack…soon, she held it aloft again and to make sure I knew she understood, shouted ‘hat’ and pointed to daddy’s hat!

So I wouldn’t go for one or the other, but a mix…for sheer convenience, you can’t beat digital flash cards, and you can hold and interact with them whilst they are flashing…but they love to play, toss, show you their cards as well, and you can demonstrate a lot of different concepts face to face as well!

I know this is a slightly ambiguous answer,but I have discovered that there are no true straight forward answers in EL…it is always a lot of work, a mixture of programs and approaches, and specific things that work for YOUR child! If you don’t think something is keeping your babies interest, stop and find something that does, even if it is not what many others are doing!
Many of the LR cards and materials can be printed and used conjointly, like in the car!
Happy learning!

I think both are good but perhaps physical cards might be a little distracting for your children.
I happen to chance upon a site www.winktolearn.com and got to know about their flashcard DVDs which i think are very interesting.

Take a look at this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8kuEkU1Yx4&list=UUHOsbWhjBLF3K-byqPBBryw&index=27&feature=plcp

it’s actually flashcards in DVD format and according to the creator, they follow Shichida flashcard method and apparently from some other forums, many parents actually find it effective for their child. So perhaps you may consider! =)

I think both are good tools when it comes to early learning.
It also depends how your child responds to the tools you are presenting.

My son does not like papter flashcards at all! It didn’t matter how I made or present them. I used to dance silly dance and jump silly jump but he still turned away or was ready to take off like a roadrunner whenever he saw paper flashcards.

He loves anything animated and sure enough, electronic flashcards hold and keep his attentions.