Educational DVD's vs Home made flash cards, dot cards etc

I have a question.

Do DVD’s work as well as home made flash cards? I was wondering if all the money i’m forking out on DVD’s is really worth it? Do kids really learn as effeceintly from DVDS as they do from home made cards? Do home made have the edge because the child knows you made it? Or is there more participation in home made cards then DVDS?

I have YBCR (which is great but I have been showing my Daughter these videos from 3 months and she is no Aleka Titzer @ the same age while she does recognise some words)
I also have Tweedlewink and wink to learn and I question how much it is working? I have backed up YBCR with flash cards and word cards but I have not done that with Tweedlewink or Wink to Learn.

What is your opinion?

sounds like you have a lot going on with the dvds and programs. i don’t technically know if one works better than the other. @ 9 mo we just used ybcr and some flash cards. i made all my flash cards (prior to LR) and some dot cards and we used/use them a couple of times a day as toys… at least that’s how my dd sees it. tho she def wasn’t at the stage aleka or any of the other commercial kids were. when your baby decides to show you all that she is taking in you will see that it was worth it (the $ and the effort). i will bet you are right on the verge of it… then she may blow aleka right out of the water! lol
for me i feel like the combination of dvds and homemade cards/games is the way to go. it can’t be all left to the dvds but at the same time the dvds have a nice creativity and special attraction for kids.
one thing you may want to consider is if you are feeling overwhelmed by the amount of information and programs then maybe your sweet is a little like that too. i’ve found often that giving some space or a couple of days to my daughter actually makes her more productive when we go back to the programs. i think sometimes they need a little time to take everything in and process it before using it (another reason i’m a huge advocate for naps and early bed times… the subconscious needs time to reboot the information).
at some point you are going to look over at your husband/partner at 2:00 am while your dd is recalling every darn word she knows and wonder what the he** you were thinking teaching her all that! :slight_smile: and trust me… that day isn’t far away.

I would think that the DVD would be more entertaining/engaging than flashcards, but that’s only if the parent can’t/doesn’t make the flashcards engaging, kwim? It is also going to depend on the child, some kids are going to find the dvds to be boring, others are going to ask for it and look forward to it. The better thing about Flashcards and LR is that it is customizable and you can add many more sight words to your baby’s vocabulary than a DVD ever could. I think most people here combine DVD program with a flashcard program for best results. Good luck!

I’m so tempted to buy LR/ LM and Tweedlewink for my little girl… My question is do educational DVD’s or power point slide shows harm our children’s health due to the radiation something like that??? Always heard strictly no TV , Pc or handphone for children below 3??? I’m really confusing, please help!!! :confused:

Please read these
http://forum.brillkids.com/little-reader/kids-and-the-computer/
http://www.brillbaby.com/teaching/faqsTV.php

To nhockaday,

Thank u so much for the links, it’s very informative!!! :smiley: I know what to do next already… love u sooooo much!!! :wink:

Jean