Edible Paint Recipe

My child loves to paint, so I wanted a safe paint that wouldn’t hurt the furniture, the floor, and my clothes, so I found a recipe in an old 1970’s book to make edible paint.
3 cups powdered or confectionary suger, and 1/2 cup or more of water, add a little food coloring, and if wanted a little flavoring.
For glue you can add less of the water.

My toddler and i take wooden toys, toys that wouldn’t ruin of dunked in water, and we paint with the toys. I bought over christmas wooden massage items, they work great to paint with and they look like cars, so my son loves them. We used this for fingerpaint and he loves doing that to.

Just thought I would share the recipe.

My son also loves to paint.

Thanks for sharing! Now, I can let him do finger painting without worrying.

Sounds like gingerbread man icing! :biggrin: Watch out for the teeth,not everything edible is good for you :clown:

seems like a great idea! Will give it a try.

We brush after we paint. For we paint after breakfast. I am killing 2 birds with one stone. Breakfast, art and then hygiene practice in the bathroom, that’s his bath time as well. Like I said I just found it in an old 1970’s book, along with a lot of other great recipes for paint. That ones was just my fav. It sticks to the paper so it doesn’t run is what i like about it and the fact that it can be used as a glue as well for stickers and stuff. I use this for painting in a box with a ball rolling on the paper. Since we have been trying it he knows that it goes on the paper and not in his mouth. I just wanted something a little bit more safe then regular paint. My son has a lot of allergies so this works great for us, knowing to bruch of course if he eats it.

Thanks for sharing.
It is such a good idea. My son loves painting too!!
karma to u

Can pls advise me how should I let my 7mth old son play w it? Just use fingers right? How do I teach him not to put inside his mouth? As he is at a stage that everything he sees goes to his mouth, even my sandles!!

Well it’s okay for him to put it in his mouth, just make sure to rinse his teeth off after use. I started out saying the paint belongs on the paper instead in your mouth over and over and demonstrate painting again over and over. It takes some repetitious work but he finaly got it, but i think that it is something that is grown out of eventually. Sometimes i take my sons hand and paint for him, assisting him on what to do. We paint with all kinds of things; ribbons, band aides, yarn, strips of paper, brushes, hair brushes, toys, cars, golf ball, feathers, things that won’t ruin, we even use wooden massage toys that look like cars, we use cut potatoes.
Be positive to him, instead of saying no, don’t, stop, please don’t try to say the paint goes on the paper instead of your mouth, or on mommy. Mine loves to grap my skirt while we paint, and of course he loves to hand brother a painted object to share.
We paint after breakfast while he still in his high chair. This helps eith him being stationary and being still. He is comfortable in his chair so that’s why i picked it.

I also have a 9 month old, and he paints putting everything in his mouth so i try to use food to paint with that doesn’t hurt him, like carrots, or the teething sticks that Gerber makes, things that are big enough for him to hold but not able to ingest it to get chocked on, like a cracker, cucumber, and some kind of fruit. Then i move to painting with his hand or toes. I also tell my infant to place your hands here, you hands go here, and demonstrate what we are doing. he also paints in his high chair.

Thanks for the tips, hmmm good idea to use real food. Also would like to check w u how should I keep the drawing paper after my son paint on it? as using sugar will it attract ants? Should I just laminate it? :slight_smile: As want to keep his ‘work’

Good question. I was just doing this. I think laminating would work but cold lamination not hot for it will melt the paint. I think the best thing is to take a picture or scan the art work and throw the original away due to bugs but if you wanted to keep the original you can sprinkle salt on it while it is still wet to avoid ants, then spray a thin varnish on it, you can get it at the local craft store. It’s like a glaze that you spray on. It would hold everything together. I think that if I can scan the artwork that way I can save it and print it or i can even publish my little ones art work some day. People pay money for cover art to publish their books. You never know what the future holds for our little ones’ artwork.

What a great piece of art!

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Thanks again, think will take your advise of taking photo and keep it. It must be fun… but let me go and get a highchair first… haven’t buy one yet