EARLY READING - Too early "H O W "?

I dont know how ppl work on kids of just 1 yr for making them to read?
how possible
?i mean specially when theyt dont speak?
also is it important to complete phonics ABC before reading ? or should i start
them to read directly with phonics like “AT” “ag” bla bla?
please give me idea for my 3 yrs old baby ,
also a son 18month (1.5yr) , he dont speak . how can i teach him to READ??
PLEASE HELP
can anyone please tell me about the loyalty points?how it works?
THANKS

You need to imagine very early reading teaching the same as you teach your baby to speak - you speak to him or her from birth even though the child is not speaking. When you point to things you label them - this is a cup, this is your bottle, here is your hand.
It is the same when you teach reading - you show them a word on a flashcard or written anywhere and tell them what it says. They do not have to say the word to know. (same as they know their bottle is a bottle even though they cannot say the word)

So if you tell a non-speaking child: this is a bottle, you can also show them a word that says bottle and say “This says bottle” or even better just point to the card and say “bottle.” It will take til they are speaking before you know if they can read and you shouldn’t even test them then - just wait and they will show you for themselves - same as you waited for your child to crawl and walk.

Two things to note with a baby: firstly the print you show them should be quite large as their eyes are not ready to ficus on small printing - even for my four year old we show her the print on skype when she talks to her Dad in a much bigger font than I would nomrally use to help her. And secondly I would probably start with words and NOT phonics - you can introduce the alphabet sounds very early on (my own DD knew them at 18 months) but reading is about word recognition and meaning - “a, b, c” does not mean much to a baby, but words he/she associates with fun things will mean more and make reading more fun. I would probably do a few words at least before introducing the alphabet.

tHANKS A LOT tani,
it has cleared me a little,not NECESSARY to start from phonics for reading…
so tell me a little more
OR IN OTHER words, tell me from where to start from the beginning, like with what type of words,
my daughter (3yrs) has learned little alphabets phonics , so i should start her with words , with what words ?
and if u r saying tht ur 18 months can also recogonize alphabets,
just give me a brief describtion . i will be really thankful to you.

http://www.lickitysplitlearning.com/files/pre-kindergarten-dolch-words.pdf
thias type of words shud be taught in the beginning?
what should i show her for “IS” “ARE”??
or just words recoginition?
also this link http://www.kidzone.ws/dolch/kindergarten.htm
Thanks.

A 3 year old can learn to read differently to a baby so it is almost up to you what method you would like to use. If you have started with phonics and the alphabet sou-nds then perhaps move on to teach blending and short cvc words (like cat, dog etc) which would make it possible to read beginner phonics readers. You can also teach her the sight words - maybe looking up teaching sight words on google for various ideas and there are loads of things you can do with a 3 year old to teach these words and many games you can play with them. You can still at 3 also use flashcards or LR and then you can use teh same material for your 18 month old too. Dolch words are important to know, but remember that reading is about obtaining meaning from the text so I would never teach a whole set of Dolch words without linking them to meaningful sentences as these words mean very little on their own. If you want to teach “is” teach it and then put it in a meaningful sentence - “the girl is sliding down the slide” or whatever appeals to your 3 year old and get her to find the word you are teaching within the sentence.

If you have not taught blending before and want to do so, remember that it can take a while for a child who has not been exposed to this before and also you does not know a lot of sight words. Just do it for her - so you show her cat, say “c-a-t cat” and leave it at that - do not expect anything from her until you have blended for her for months. I still blend for my 4 year old though she can do it herself even with much harder words simply because it is faster for me to do it and also it results in her doing it in her head so her reading speed is faster when working out new words.

If you want to teach reading and feel a little lost you can also buy programs to help - LR would be useable by both your children and is a lot of fun. YBCR would probably be more suited to your 18 month old though your 3 year old may also learn fine from it. Leapfrog is great for teaching phonics or you could use hooked on phonics or any of numerous other resources.

It is possible to teach reading without anything at all, but the programmes can make it a lot easier and give you a guide as to where to go next. The problem is that with so many methods out there it can be hard to know what to spend your money on so look at a few of the more popular ones around and ask people’s opinions who have used them. I used only Little Reader with my eldest daughter and my own flashcards til she was 3 when I started her on a phonics programme (she was already reading but needed help with fluency and sounding out harder words to become more independent)

Thanks again tani.,
im too new to understand,ystrday i ws readin in brillkids ,that its not necesary to start with phonics,aa baa …
but i think they should recogonize letters before showing them words . or its not necessary too?
just do them with C A T cat?
i cant buy any of the program.
also i still need help…just give me some idea , u did ith ur 4 yr in the beginning of teaching her to read.
i can teach both of my kids at a time?

If you cannot buy programmes I would start with flashcards - choose the words that would most interest your children (and it will probably be a different word for the 3 year old than the 18 month old) Then show them the words you choose - and I would probably show both of them at the same time though you don’t have to (but it will help you keep your sanity) Make sure you make the flashcards big enough - the younger the child the bigger it needs to be.

You do not have to teach the letters first because if you start with sight reading then they do not learn c-a-t says cat, they just see the word and say cat. Most children do eventually need some training in phonics and blending but I would not start that with the 18 month old until you have done a few words. You can try reading bear with your 3 year old as that will teach blending and is free (can’t remember the site link but if you search on these forums you will find it or just google Reading Bear)

Personally I believe in a sight word and phonics based programme for reading especially with younger children. The more you teach them the easier it becomes for them and there are pros and cons to both methods so why not access the pros of both methods.

I started teaching my 4 year old to read when she was 1 year old by sticking two flashcards on the wall and telling her what they said. If I remember correctly the words I used were “Mummy” and “dog” both things she was naturally excited about. Within a week she could point to the word and say “doh” for dog and then point to the dog as he walked past so she had associated the written word with the spoken word and also the dog itself. I laminated the flashcards I made (in those days I was using contact paper as I did not yet have a laminator) and then I allowed her to play with teh flashcards in the bath and stick them on the tiles while reading them to her. She went through hundreds of flashcards before she was two and then I started putting them up as sentences and she would read them to me. I was also using Little Reader and Starfall (www.starfall.com) By three she was reading beginner readers and I started phonics with her - she knew her letter sounds by 18 months so I just taught blending by blending everything for her - I never asked her to work it out, I just said c-a-t, cat for endless words and within two months she would give me the word if I just said the letters. I then moved on to The Ordinary Parents Guide to teaching reading and copied out the word lists into a lined manuscript book and taught her to blend the words by reading the letters herself. I only had 4 words to a page written very big and she would do two sets of 4 words per day with me teaching the phonics rule first and giving her a flashcard for the long vowel and digraphs (SH, TH, CH, OA, AI etc) She still has this collection of flashcards on her wall and if we come across a difficuly word when reading I ask her to find the flashcard for the sound she is sticking on and read it to me and then blend the word in the book - we only ever do this for one word per reading session as it slows the reading down. The rest I just sound out for her and she tells me what it says after I say the letters and digraphs/long vowel sounds.

We have not yet got through the whole of the Ordinary Parents guide to reading so are still doing that to make sure I cover all the necessary phonics rules (and I do not believe they are all necessary - that book is a bit overkill giving almost every exception - usually when these exceptions come up in a book I just tell her what it says and she remembers) She is reading at about a grade 3 level now though she does not have the stamina to read a whole book at this level so we do shared reading - she reads a sentence and I read a sentence. We have done this for quite a while and she is getting to the stage where she will finally grab the book out of my hands and read a few paragraphs herself so stamina must just come slowly.

At the same time as teaching all this I also used The Ladybird Key Words Reading Series with her - the reason I like this series (and you may find it works well for your 3 year old) is that to read the first book they only need to know 16 sight words - so you can teach your 3 year old those words first and then let her read both book 1a and 1b which means the child feels they have learnt a lot very fast and can read a real book by themselves. I would probably not use this series by itself, but it is a great way to start with sight words and they are the words most commonly used when reading English. Also the books are cheap to buy - do NOT buy the c series with a 3 year old - they are too young for the writing usually. My daughter has read to book 6a of that series and I have ordered the rest for her simply because she enjoys the characters and also for completeness sake - she is capable of reading most other books now though so if she gets sick of Peter and Jane we can always stop. I would advise that if using this series you buy up to book 5 - after that most kids can read a lot of other things and don’t need to go further.

The one thing you need to know that is most important is this: everyone who tries to teach their child/baby to read succeeds provided they keep at it and are consistent. Every child also will have some issue with reading that will need to be addressed and you will need to find a solution for your child - for some it is reading left to right, some have issues moving from large print to small print, some have issues with stamina, some have issues with sounding out, some need more phonics instruction and some prefer sight words, some do not seem interested in books til you find one that excites them, some children resist reading unless you use a fun method to teach (and this can vary from child to child), some will purposely read words incorrectly (and I am sure they do this because it can get a response from the parent), some have issues moving to independent reading or silent reading and so on. Each of these issues needs to be addressed when it arises as they do not affect all children. So basically you cannot decide a reading pathway and just stick to it - you need to keep reevaluating and finding out what your child needs and when.

Nonetheless the place to start is either with letters or words. If you start with letters you need to move on to blending. If you start with words you need to make sure they can read the common words too (sight words) and then see if they need phonics when they start reading books. Good luck with your two children. And remember that at age 18 months and 3 years the concentration is not great - have “lessons” of only a few minutes about twice a day. My daughter is at a 3rd grade reding level and we still do no more than about 5-10 minutes of reading “lessons” - phonics and reading aloud per day. Consistency with short periods pays off more than long lessons done infrequently.