Early learning with songs & activities

I’ve stumbled across a book that I thought I’d like to share with you. It’s on an inter-library loan but I think I’ll have to buy it! If you have similar books that you’ve used, please share them, as well.

“Where is Thumbkin - 500 Activities to use with songs you already know” by Pam Schiller & Thomas Moore

There are two categories - one for toddlers and one for pre-schoolers. Each category features several songs for each month/season. Each song has several proposed suggestions for hands-on activities or discussions.

Sections are as follows (each song has at least 7 of the sections listed below):

• Thematic Connections (ie, farm, seasons, senses, etc), Things to talk about, Art, Fine Motor, Gross Motor, Language, Math, Science, Music, Cooking, Outdoors, Related Bibliography & Music

This is an excellent resource if you want to provide extension activities as you sing the songs that you already know - really, you’ll be surprised that you know most of these songs (at least if you’ve grown up in North America). I’m thinking of writing out the song on chart paper, singing it every day and choosing one or two of the activities/day.