Early Learning Foundations

I am interested in using the Early Learning Foundation math program (created by Little Giant Steps) with my 3.5 yo son with Down syndrome. Have any of you used it with your child with special needs. I would love to hear what the program is like and how it worked for you. Thank you!

Yes, I am using it, & I really like it. I also have Numicon Math, which is one of the most commonly recommended programs for kids with DS, but I like ELFM better. It is so well laid out & easy to follow for me. I also like the way it really builds as you go along. My dd’s neurodevelopmentalist explained how it works even once you get into division & subtraction & it just made so much sense to me. We’re about 1/2 way through the first book, & my dd has gone from not liking math, to asking to do it if we have skipped a few days. My dd is 4, but could easily have started this last year (actually, I was supposed to, but her preschool purchased Numicon for us so I tried it first, but never got to far with it as it was harder to figure out what to do).

Laura,

Thank you so much for your input. I’ve read the reviews and they all are so positive. Is there very much writing with this program? If so could it still be done without? Nathan doesn’t want anything to do with writing! Thanks again.

Sandy

I don’t think there is that much in the actual workbook. There is a cd which includes additional writing practice, but you can choose to do as many or as few as you like. If you want to see an example of what a few of the pages are like, pm me your email & I’ll send you a few pics.

I am new here too and have a son with Down syndrome and Autism and looking for a good reading and math program. thanks!
Lexy

Welcome Lexy!

We are using the above mentioned math program, & have also had wonderful success with Little Reader. Check out my blog if yiu want to read more about our experiences the link is in my siggy. I have an important posts page that would be good to read as well as a link to all my BrillKids posts in the right hand sidebar of the blog.

Please feel free to post an introduction thread to tell us all about your little son or ask any questions you may have :biggrin:

I am really glad I read this. We are  getting the LR program and was wondering about the math one. I do not want to have it sitting around unused but it seems that you can start around 3 years old. Is that right?

Wow!