Eager to meet other parents who sign with their children

Hi, everyone.

I am a mother to 3yo Josh and 14mo Zoe, whom I both sign to (since they were babies). I am constantly amazed at how much more enhanced communication is with the help of signs, especially in that stage when they are still not able to articulate words yet. Because the whole experience of signing with our children has been so wonderful, I had decided to become a certified instructor of the Baby Signs® Program and I’m now helping other families get started on their Baby Signs® adventure. :slight_smile:

Would love to meet other parents who are also signing with their children and share experiences.

Here’s a link to a video of Zoe signing PLEASE and THANK YOU when she was around 11 months old.

http://www.clipshack.com/Clip.aspx?key=E47173AC13575E35

Happy signing, everyone!

B.

Hi Buckeroo!

Welcome to the Forums, the video of Zoe was great to see and Zoe can definitely sign!
I’m sure there are other parents here whose children sign as well.

Thanks for signing up and we hope you have a good time learning with your children.

Cheers,

Lawrence

Hi Buckeroo. I would like to welcome you to the forums. I’m sure you will find a lot of wondeful information and friendly people here. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for info on signing. Have you checked out our signing thread? We would love for you to share more of your experiece there. http://forum.brillkids.com/introduce-yourself/signing-with-your-child/

Thanks, Lawrence and nhockaday. I will definitely be checking out the signing thread. It’s great to be in touch with other parents who are also into signing. :slight_smile:

I loved the video of Zoe :smiley: Thanks for sharing it !! :slight_smile:

Hi!

I would need an advice from a successful signer :biggrin:. I have three kids (one son is 14, other son 3 1/2 and baby girl who is 11 months old). I signed with the first one and all he learned was a sign for nursing :yes:. With the baby girl I’m signing for last 4 months and she is sometimes reproducing something. The problem is following: she is very active and she rarely look at me and my hands when I’m signing, she is usually doing her stuff and looking all around. What do you suggest to do? Thank you! Kristina from Croatia

Have you read our signing thread here? http://forum.brillkids.com/introduce-yourself/signing-with-your-child/

If you read the third message down, I have posted some links to a website that I found very useful in learning about signing. Maybe you can find some helpful info on the website or through some of our other members.

Hello, Kristina. I have replied to your query in the signing thread that nhockaday referred to.

http://forum.brillkids.com/introduce-yourself/signing-with-your-child/

Hi there Buckaroo-
It’s nice to read about you here - glad to know you have found signing to be so beneficial with your children - and that you are encouraging of other parents who want to use sign with their children. I just wanted to tell you that I really liked your response to kikaep’s post on the signing thread. I think it is so great to have found an online community of parents (and parents-to-be) so willing to share their experiences with others.
Take care and happy posting!
-Leanna

Thanks, Leanna.

It is great that increasingly there are more parents who sign with their children. Personally, apart from the scientifically proven benefits that signing brings, we just find it so much fun!

Hi Buckeroo! :slight_smile: I’m very glad to see you here with us in the forums!

I have to agree with Leanna, your ideas and insight in signing are very valuable - thank you so much for sharing!

:biggrin: Your post was very encouraging, and I understand that sometimes teaching little kids can require a little patience; even when we think they’re not paying attention, they’re absorbing tons of information, and it won’t take long until they show signs of understanding the lessons.

I’m looking forward to hearing more about you and your insight about teaching kids how to sign, we’ve so much to learn from you!

Cheers,

Lappy

Sooooo true, Lappy - it is absolutely amazing what kiddos can take in when we adults think they’re not “tuned in” at all!!

Definitely agree that patience is required. The little ones learn by repetition*, lots of it. Heaven knows how many times I’d read the same book over and over and over again (in one sitting), because they keep signing MORE! It does pay off beautifully, though.

*I don’t mean that we ram it down their throats or doing it in any intrusive way --i.e., forcing them when they’re so obviously not in the mood.

Thank you!!! :wink: