DS sounds out all his letters!

I feel like this is a small but sweet milestone, and it came faster than I expected, really.

This morning the boy asked to see his letter flashcards, and as we went through them he sounded them all out with no problems.

I posted about this before but I’m again curious about how to keep the momentum going.

I imagine we can stay in the single letter place for a long time, but what else can I do to encourage two letter sounds?

Do you really think some of the phonetic rules will just come to him naturally?

P.S. we are continuing LR and are also putting up words in his room on card-stock as object labels.

mom2ross

I’ve started introducing my daughter to phonics today. She too can spell out many letters (but I can’t test her, she says anything silly if i do, so I keep an eye on her and have heard which letters she’s spelled out loud)
I think it’s a good age as she still sees many whole words, is in love with her letters (like many 12-24mo on this forum :slight_smile: and it would be fun to combine them. I think it’ll help with her speaking as well.

You can try playing with letter blocks and randomly put two letter blocks together. That’s how I knew Felicity could sound out new words even though I hadn’t taught her phonics then.