Dr. Jeffrey D Thompson and his research on music

Has anyone heard about Dr. Jeffrey D. Thompson and his research on healing properties of music? Has anyone used any of his music CDs which claim to enhance concentration, meditation, and a state of relaxation?

Here is the http://www.neuroacoustic.com I am talking about.

Questers.

I’ve definitely heard that music can heal, but I’m not sure that I have ever heard of Dr. Thompson.

i have worked with a therapist on and off for a couple of years who uses his stuff. i wouldn’t say that i am the type to go this direction in therapy easily but because i liked my therapist so much i was willing to try it and i’m not sure if it ‘works’ (as in something concrete and directly accountable) but i can say it’s definitely interesting and there is definitely something happening when you listen. my therapist went so far as using light and physical vibration with the music and it was really amazing.
some i find i can’t listen too because i get really agitated. if i sleep while listening i will have very disturbing dreams and wake kind of run over feeling but then i have other tracks that click the right way with me and though i have never meditated, i can imagine that sense of peace would be about the same.
i think a lot of the work is something like what right brain kids does in using sound to tap into alpha waves and such. i draw pretty pictures for a living so the science part kind of loses me but i think there is something to it.

i could try to zip up a few tracks and send them on to you if you were interested. i got them from my therapist so i’m pretty sure it’s okay with the copy right stuff.

Thanks Nikki.

Thanks Octaviaorca, its nice to know from a person who has prior experience with it. Do you think we can put it for babies while sleeping? I am anyhow using classical music to put him to sleep, so I thought why not this. But I am scared about any negative effects to it, like the agitation you mentioned. Perhaps you could zip some if you have time, let me try it on me first… :slight_smile:

hey questers,
sorry about the tardiness of my reply… husband’s away and things can get a little nuts!

i’ve tried a couple of times to upload the file but i think it’s too big. i’ve tried a couple of different ways but still to no avail. sorry about that. i did notice that itunes carries quite a few albums. i have the sleep system and the healing system and it is the healing system that i like the best.

i would say whatever you choose you should just watch your baby for a few days. watch that there are no signs of unreasonable grumpiness or anxiety. i think it could just be a lot on the baby’s subconsious though i don’t think there is an actual harm that can come from listening to the tracks… other than disturbed sleep.

please feel free to contact Patricia Wynne. she’s the therapist out of southern california that i used and she is so enthusiastic about dr thompson’s work that i know she would be happy to answer questions or even find someone closer to you that would help you out. here is her contact: http://www.find-a-therapist.com/Provider/Patricia-Wynne-MA.aspx she also has a brief explanation on her use of the music.

sorry i couldn’t be of more help. it is so interesting and such a fairly new ‘science’. let us know what else you find out or how you think your child reacted to it.

all the best.