Dot cards in power point?

Hi

Has anybody created Dot cards in power point? Like the whole curriculum like Day 1 - 1 to 5 cards, then delete the first one and add 6… addition etc as the plan suggests?

Heath,
Are you talking one powerpoint per session per day? Going off DomanMon’s summary of the Doman math plan:

For day 17 (emphasis mine):

Now you have taught numbers up to twenty. You should now begin teaching addition. You will do addition equations with numbers 1 - 20. At this point [b]you will be doing nine very brief session of math each day[/b] - six sessions of quantity and three sessions of equations.

If you are looking for 1 powerpoint presentation per session, that is a lot of powerpoint presentations!!

I find physical cards easiest for the quantities. I have three piles of cards. “Retired”, “In Use” and “Future”. When I want to show them I shuffle the “In Use” pile and flash them one by one. (I know you are meant to have two piles of 5 that you show for quantity, but my son seems to cope with the longer session of the 10 at once and I’d otherwise find it hard to manage.) If you are looking to print off cards there is a number of presentations for dots 1-100 in the Math Download area.

For the equations, I find that really hard to do with physical cards. Either I have to spend a few mins before each session coming up with the equations (which means I can’t do the equation sessions spontaneously when I feel my son is in the mood), or I try to do it on the fly (during the session) which results in long gaps as I find the cards I am after where my son gets bored and tunes out.

So I am going to enlist the help of my computer for equations. I am working on a series of Powerpoints similar to the one I have already uploaded:
http://forum.brillkids.com/downloads/?sa=view;id=7740

But I want them to have bigger numbers (my son is up to 32 in quantity recognition) and be random. So a single presentation may have:
22+1=23
6+15=21
6+16=22
8+11=19
5+6=11
etc

I am looking at 12 presentations per powerpoint with the aim that that is a day’s worth. (3 equations x 3 sessions + 1 spare session of three equations).

Is what I have planned anything like what you were looking for?

Kat

Hello!
I made this kind of PP, but it’s got the biggest number 75 because my computer was pending trying to show the PP with bigger numbers lol I didn’t load it here because it’s not finished. We switched over to cards.
If you want I can send it to you. There’s a daily programme but it’s rather odd because we did it in different ways lol I mean we had and 6 lessons per day and 3 and even 2 :biggrin:
It contains 0-75 dots, addition, subtraction, and some multiplication examples. Some of sessions consist of 2 sets x 5 cards and (later ones) others of 1 set x 10 cards. There are both red and black dots.
So if it’s ok I can send it to you and you’ll just finish it, copying and editing existing slides.
I’ve got also some slides with additions and slides for checking the numbers recognition.

Hi Anastasiya,

Could you please share the ppt with me? Thanks in advance.

Hi, Sunil7!
Send your email address to my ppb because I can’t see how to send a file throuh it :slight_smile:

Hi Kat

As you said it really takes lot of time with the equations and that is why I was hoping to have it in power point. I will check out the ones you have loaded. If you have more please load it when you get a chance.

Thank you.

Hello Anastasiya

Can you share your files too please. Can you load them in the Math folder of this website?
If not I will send you my email id.

Thanks for sharing

Heath,
I have added some more. Once approved they can be downloaded from the maths download area, or from my file list at:
http://forum.brillkids.com/downloads/?sa=myfiles;u=37769

There is a one for 1-10 (random order) and one for 1-15 (random order). Some of the equations are the same in both. There are 9 equations in each file. The file size seems very big for what it is, so I’ll look to try to reduce it.

I’ll wait for feedback before I load any more.
Kat

Kat,

Thank you for loading the files. Just one question, I noticed that you have answers also on the same page. Won’t kids get confused and add all three values? I am thinking of modifying the files and putting the answers on a separate page.

I tried with 1.5 year old but somehow I did not succeed. Now I printed dot cards for my 4-month old (black dots on A4), and it is much, much easier.

Hi Anastasiya,

I plan to start teach my 16 month old boy the Doman math, is it possible if I can also use your powerpoint presentation?

Kat25,

Thank you for uploading your dot cards for us to use. I plan to use both powerpoint and dot cards to teach my son. I’ll let you all know which works best for us.

Anastasiya

Can u please share with me too my email address dsameera1978@yahoo.com

To be honest, I am not sure. My boy is only 5 months so I can’t ask him (and I have no idea if he understands it one way or another). At first I thought kids would get confused with the flashing one card at a time. ie, you could flash 2 then 2 then 4 (2+2=4) or when you are on 3 part equations … 2, 2, 4, 8 (2+2+4=8). In the first case the 4 is the answer, in the second case it is the third number to add.

My understanding of the teaching method is that the child knows the difference because of the words spoken. in the first case you say “2 PLUS 2 EQUALS 4” in the second "2 PLUS 2 PLUS 4 … ". I have also tried to use color to make it clearer what is going on. (Not sure what to do with the color as I get to multiplications and divisions).

My boy loves looking at the equations on the screen though. I get a huge grin and lots of hand-waving excitement. I should spend some time and do some more equations for him, as even I am finding the ones I have done are starting to repeat a bit.

I sent them to you

give me your email address in PMB