Doman's Teach your child to swim...

Hey, has anyone tried this? I’ve recently joined the gym so will have access to the pool everyday :slight_smile:

Are there recommendations for any other methods?? Thanks :slight_smile:

check out my blog with the old postings and videos of Cub’s early swimming. I haven’t used Doman and have no comment about it

I read the book and imperfectly tried with my son from about 3 days old to 6 months. He would hold his breath. However, I found the www.uswim.com website to have easier to understand and implement instructions. At age 2 he will hold his breath for about 3-5 seconds, but can’t really swim, but he can back float.

I also used the Doman book with my daughter starting at about age 1 and again imperfect implementation until age two. She would not hold her breath. At age 3 I discovered the uswim. And by age 4 she had completed level 2 and was into the second skill on level 3. I put her into a conventional RedCross swimming lesson this summer and she passed level 2 (designed for 6-8 year olds) at age 4.

The Doman book has general knowledge but I find it lacks on details of how to implement. If you can get the book for free, then I would read it, if I had to buy the book, I would save my money and use the free resources on the Internet.

Pokerdads’s blog has some great suggestions on swimming. And an excellent post on helping the parent get over th fear of your baby being underwater.

Happy swimming.

Thank you both :slight_smile: Yes I’ll definitely check out Pokerdad’s blog and the uswim website.

We did Semester 1 of Waterbabies (not sure if it exists outside of the UK) so she is already used to going underwater and breath holding…I just wasn’t sure on how to progress. I ended up buying the Doman book and it does have some useful tips and ideas :slight_smile: She hasn’t been too well so we haven’t had chance to start yet but I’m hoping to begin tomorrow, very exciting!!

Thanks again

Araboo, Did your baby feel well enough today to swim? I like your enthusiasm, and was hoping for an update.

I have never heard of water babies before, do you have a link? Thx.

My almost 3 year old and my 7 month old go to Waterbabies too. It’s expensive but they are both making great progress. We are starting our 3rd 10-week term next week. Here’s a link to the Irish site www.waterbabies.ie

I purchased Glenn Doman’s “Teach Your Child to Swim” book. I also felt like it had some general ideas for teaching infants how to swim, but I also felt it was lacking in depth. The internet has quite a few websites that can really help parent and child progress. Some companies really want to charge you for their online classes, but you can get a great deal of information free. Worldwideswimschool.com is one site that allowed me to get a really good idea what I needed to do. There was a blog about an infant named Evie and how she progressed with swimming since birth. If you can find any of the monthly updates, it will really help in your quest for infant swimming. As a reminder: Some websites teach infant survival and some teach infant swimming or a combination of the two. You need to know what you are looking to get out of the experience.

My twins (Now 2 years old) can hold their breath under water for 15 seconds. They have no fear of water, have many of the motions down (Kicking and paddling), some success with floating, climbing out of the swimming pool, and submerging their faces while blowing bubbles on their own, etc…

Many of the lessons start when the child is months old, and you can do most everything in the bathtub until the infant/child gets bigger and stronger.

A word of caution though: Some public swimming pools are not warm enough for children.

Hey everyone, thanks for all your input!

Unfortunately my daughter hasn’t been well enough to swim this week :frowning: long story but due to being misdiagnosed she’s been on the wrong formula for the past 4 months. She’s now diagnosed as having an intolerance to cow’s milk protein so has changed onto the correct milk which has given her the most awful stomach cramps and an upset tummy whilst she adjusts :frowning: anyway, she is on the mend now so I’ve got lots of swimming planned for next week!!!