doman method

hey i want to know whether all the kids are able to recognise when they are introduced to flash cards method. i am in india and i purchased math, words flashcards from a baby training program… she is not paying attention to numbers and words… when she is in very good mood, she sees cards… i was showing the same words(15 words) and numbers for the past 1 year and i test now and then… but even she is not able to identify… she could not even identify 1 & 2…

is this method really working for all… i even tried brillkids… she is not looking at numbers… but she looks at pictures with words… she can identify the pictures but not words… please anybody reply… she is 2 yrs 5 months now…

hello asd!

i started with the doman method when I found this site. the members are very very helpful in giving the instructions. i thought at first my daughter also did not recognize words. because i started teaching her the ABC flashcards which contained pictures of the word that started with each letter (e.g. A = picture of an apple) when she was only 7-8months old-- i think. and i tried testing her as well – putting 2 cards in front of her and asking her where a particular card is. she was able to identify pictures. but don’t lose hope. just follow the doman method of introducing new words which is explained in one of the threads here: http://forum.brillkids.com/general-discussion-b5/gentle-revolution-and-glenn-doman’s-method/

my daughter is 14 months old and she started to identify the words from the simple flash cards i made her during the 3rd day of repetition. i dont know if the doman menthod works off of the theory of engram formation but it is working for my baby. just remember the Doman’s General Rules of Teaching as posted by pupisek:

Doman’s general rules of teaching are following:
Begin as young as possible.
Be joyous at all times.
Respect and trust your child.
Teach only when you and your child are happy.
Create a good learning environment.
Stop before your child wants to stop.
Introduce new materials often.
Be organized and consistent.
Do not test your child.
Prepare your materials carefully and stay ahead.
Remember the Fail-Safe Law: If you are not having a wonderfull time and your child is not having a wonderful time - stop. You are doing something wrong.

i put some in red letters coz i think they are very very important. try changing the flashcards, perhaps a new set of words. or try making your own flashcards in big bold letters, something easy to see. be creative and playful. it helps. little ones get bored easily. i know mine does. she only looks at the cards for 5 seconds and then ignores them again. but dont lose hope and hang in there! :wink:

well may baby responded well to it, specially the card i brought has colorful pictures in it, now she can identify many pictures with words and so with numbers…i will scatter the flashcard on the floor and tell her to pick up certain things and she pick the correct card…but im just wondering if she is really relating to the words or just the pictures…

Hello Everyone,

I experiment – i make flashcards with just the words (eg. apple, slippers, mommy, daddy, etc) then I would flash the cards to her while saying the words out loud. After that, I lay 2 cards in front of her and then ask her to pick a specific card – and she will pick the right one. so that’s how I found out that she recognizes words too not just the pictures. :smiley:

I believe babies need variety. If you keep giving them information the same way - they get bored. So we have to come up with creative ways other than just flashing them cards or having them sit in front of us while we teach them. :biggrin:

It usually takes time for the baby to show what they learned but they do eventually ! And then you’ll be amazed at how much they picked up… so don’t give up as long as your baby is happy while learning even if you don’t immediatly see the results :wink:

asd, how old is your child?

In any event, children develop at different paces. If she doesn’t like it now (whatever it is you are showing her), then put them away, and try again maybe a month later. And repeat this principle. Hopefully one day she’ll be interested.

But as lila_and_mom says, variety is very important.

Hi!

My son now is 22 months old. Can I still teach him the whole-word approach using flashcards?

Based on the Doman method, before we retire a word it should have been presented to the kid 3x/day for 5 days, a total of 15 repetitions. As I have learned that during the early stage the brain can absorb everything like a sponge. Why is it necessary to have 15 repetitions before you retire a word?

I don’t have luxury of time to do 5sets of words/day to my son. I want to show him as many words as I can make. That’s why I want to know if it’s ok to show him 5 words with 3x repetion per day? And retire that five words in that day also.

When is the best time to introduce phonics?

Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

you know those 15 repetitons could take 5 mins all-in-all ! :wink: Another 5 mins for retiring the words and adding new words and you’ll only be occupied with this for 10 mins every day :smiley: Don’t worry it’s not hard at all especially with Little Reader doing all the work for you :biggrin:

Thanks Nohayo for your reply!

I thought I have to spread these repetitions in 5 days. And for each day, the first set in a day should be spread out with an interval of at least 15minutes before you show again the next repetition.

Any comment on the reason why we have to show it 15x. I’m just wondering because as I recall a child’s brain is like a sponge that absorbs information easily.

God Bless!

umm just so I didn’t confuse you, you do spread out those repetitions at intervals throughout the day, but each of those will take a min or so :wink:

I don’t know about why repeat though :blink:

Although kids brains are sponges, they must see the words over and over to learn them, learn how to read phonetcally and recognize the patterns of written language.
And you do know that after the first week, you are supposed to retire at least one word per day, right?

Nikky, do you recommend the same repetition for actual printed flashcards and LR flashcards? Or just for the printed ones?

I follow the Doman method more or less for printed flash cards. LR is different. Please see my post here http://forum.brillkids.com/general-discussion-b5/what-kind-of-schedule-do-you-use-with-your-baby/msg5065/#msg5065

to learn how I show LR. But please remember, this is what I do. What’s important is for you to find what works with your child.