Does you use wipes?

Hi,

Our doctor has said not to use wipes as they contain some chemical and we should avoind them.
Rather than wipes he has suggested to use the soft tissues with luke warm water to wash out.

What do you use?
What does your doctor say?

Thanks

Hi,

I used sensitive tissues in the beginning. now i am using scented only.

Anybody else here using soft tissues instead of wipes??

We use cloth wipes and home made natural wipe solution.

Cut some soft 100% cotton ( T-short type) material in rectangular pieces. We precut 40 pieces and it is a good amout in my opinion, but you can get away with much less.

Then mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 drops of lavender essential oil and 2 cups of cold boiled water. Use this solution on your cloth wipes. You can also add 1 teaspoon of organic natural baby wash that you have available, but it is not a must, we do that from time to time.

Then we use a small plastic wipe container for going out and presoak 5-10 wipes for the day there ( our babies are potty trained so we do not use them that much) Keep the rest of the liquid in the fridge.

It works great, good for environment, natural and smells good. We put used wipes to wash together with our laundry, diapers and all

Hope it helps

We have washcloths just for this purpose. Just standard “face cloth” sized washcloths that we wet with warm water.

That is interesting solution…
Great tips…

Thanks a lot…

I use wipes. I have never had a problem. I’m not one who wants to clean poop out of cloth all the time, but that’s just me. If you want to go a more natural route, they make organic baby wipes. 7th generation is available more commercially now. They have them at a few grocery stores where I live as well as Babies-r-us.

I use wipes too. I don’t use them if they have a nasty rash though beause they can burn. In those instances I’ll use paper towels and warm water.
I’ve used cloth diapers but not cloth wipes. LOL.

This might be to much info but…

I have Crohn’s disease and 3 fistulas that leak. I have to use wipes often to stay clean. I have used several types and can tell you first hand most of the commercial wipes and baby wipes burn. I use Earth’s Best wipes for our son and myself. They don’t burn and are sturdy. I use cloth diapers. I plan on eventually making my own but until then Earth’s Best works best for me.

Also, I get my version of diaper rash and most of the diaper rash creams burn the rash area and burn vaginal skin if it gets near there. The only one I found that works for me is Dr Smith’s. Our son has not had a diaper rash but I would use disposable diapers with the diaper rash cream.

Well, you can do the same warm water or home wipe solution (water, olive oil, lavender) with heavy duty paper towels, that way you do not need to wash wipes :slight_smile: And still able to use more natural, no preservatives wipes. WE do that too sometime. See, even 7th generation ones use preservatives, and they are not necessary great for your baby’s bottom if used all the time, 7th generation ones use potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate (food-grade preservatives, but preservatives nevertheless) Plus, it is so much cheaper to use the home made ones! It played part in our decision as well, we just could not find fully safe wipes, and the one that were marginally safe were pretty expensive to use.

I was reading one of the article on internet:
Here is the excert:

"Packaged baby wipes have become a mainstay in the modern parent’s life. Unfortunately, they use up valuable resources and provide a continual expense. Developing a reusable wipe system that works for you is a worthwhile goal and makes a perfect complement to using cloth diapers.

Washcloths that will be used for reusable baby wipes need to be soft, small, and durable. Baby washcloths work well. Cheaper terry washcloths, or old ones that have worn soft can also work. A tall basket or other container can hold a stack of these cloths. Having a container keeps the stack of cloths from falling over and making a mess. Plan to have 20 to 30 washcloths in your stack.

The perfect basket or other container will also have room for a bottle of water. Use distilled or purified water and clean the bottle every week or two. The perfect water bottle is a recycled shampoo or lotion bottle that has a pump top. It needs to be the right height so that the pump top is accessible without taking the bottle out of the basket. A squirt top bottle can be used, but you will have to pick it up every time, so it won’t be as convenient.

Keep this basket near the place where you usually change your baby’s diapers. When it comes time to wipe baby, simply take the top cloth, wet it with a pump or two of water, and wipe the baby. Rinse in the toilet if necessary (rarely), and drop it into the diaper pail. The cloth wipes can be washed right along with the diapers.

For the real recycler, good baby washcloths can be made from men’s over-the-calf tube socks that are worn out in the heel, toe, and ribbing. Simply lay the sock out flat. Cut off the foot portion above the worn heel. Then cut off the ribbing. Cut up the side of the remaining piece of sock to make a flat section almost exactly the same size and shape as a commercially made baby washcloth. It will be soft terry knit on the inside, too. (This section of a sock is rarely stained or worn.) The piece of sock can be zigzag stitched around the outside, or serged if you have a serger. It will not unravel much, however, even if you don’t stitch around the outside.

If you would like to use a liquid similar to the moisture in wet wipes, you can blend soap (or baby wash) and oil into the water you are using in the pump bottle. The soap needs to be a mild liquid soap. The oil can be baby oil or a cosmetic quality plant oil, such as almond or jojoba oil. Use no more than a tablespoon of each for each pint of purified water. A drop of certain essential oils can aid in killing germs. Tea tree oil, rosemary oil, and others are germicidal, but can be irritating to skin. Don’t use more than a drop or two to a pint of water and discontinue use if any irritation develops. Shake the bottle gently before using.

Some people like to cut a roll of hefty paper towels in half, remove the cardboard roll, and place half in a cylinder shaped baby wipe container with some of the above solution. They thread the innermost towel through the slot in the top of the wipe container, and use in the same way as storebought wipes. This may save a few cents over store brands, but cutting through a roll of paper towels is not easy, and the wipes are not reusable. Give it a try, however, if the concept appeals to you.

For traveling, a few cloth wipes can be placed in a rectangular snap-top container with cleaning solution. Use as needed, and place in a plastic bag with the cloth diaper to take home."

I avoided wipes completely when Nicholas was tiny and now only use them very occasionally when we are out. We used cotton wool and water at first, then moved on to washable cotton wipes.

Personally, I don’t think anything that can take permanent pen off a table top should be considered ‘gentle to skin’ :ohmy:

I use organic wipes…not alcohol and not scent.Check in baby stores .My daughter is three now but when she used to wear diapers she got like two rashes total and I use to clean her wipe her with wet paper towel and dry her with cloth diaper.
But I don’t really think is a big deal… :wink:

Thanks a lot for everyone for their views.
I dont use wipes but wanted to knwo other people opinion.

Thanks

I use baby wipes as well and never had a problem. Yes, the other side of the coin is environment and saving resources. But regarding that I should use cloth diapers and I did not either. It is comfortable and save my time and energy so I can spent more time with my baby and be calmer and rested mum :smiley:

I only use wipes for a quick hand wash outside or around the house. Otherwise I use water.

I sewed my own 100% cotton cloth wipes. I have about 40. I mix my own baby wipe solution by using water, hypoallergic babywash and organic vitamin E oil. But I keep my solution in a spray bottle. I keep the bottle and the dry cloth wipes next to my changing table and only spray the wipes when I need to. Cause in the past when I soaked too many wipes at a time, some of them were dry out and I’m afraid of bacterial growth in moist cloth in rather high temperature in summer. My baby never has any diaper rash. But I do keep a small pack of disposable baby wipes in my diaper bags while going out. :wink:

I would second skylark. Washable wipes are great! We love our cloth wipes and there are so many choices. You can use organic bamboo velour/sherpa/soya terry - they look so beautiful and function miles better than disposable ones, let alone much kinder to the environment and your pocket!

I cut up the old receiving blankets that were worn out to make my own baby wipes. I sewed 4 layers together in a 5"x5" square. They are small and easy to handle yet thick enough not to get anything on my own hands. I just wet them with warm water at the sink before I take my baby to the potty. I wash them with the cloth diapers.

When I am out and about I use GAIA bamboo baby wipes, but yes the do contain some chemicals but they are still better than others.

I never use wipes. I use cotton balls and bottled water. My son has never had a diaper rash.