Does DHA Omega 3 really benefit developing babies?

Does anyone have any thoughts on DHA Omega 3 intake during your pregnancy and while breastfeeding?
I took prenatal vitamins that included DHA and as I am breastfeeding I am still taking the vitamins along with DHA supplements. I have read a study claiming that there are no known benefits of taking DHA. I am just curious about how other people feel about this.

I took them during pregnancy, while breastfeeding, and I still give them to my son now. There are many benefits of DHA.

Hello thank you for your reply. Do you give them to your son by vitamins or do you just make sure he eats foods that contain DHA?
Some of the mothers in my area do not see it as being important.

I took DHA Omega 3 prenatal vitamins during my pregnancy and while breast feeding…When we changed to whole milk I now give her Horizon Organic Whole Milk with DHA and Omega 3. I also give her other foods with it, that is the best way to give it to babies/ toddlers I think. There are many benefits to both Omega 3 and DHA especially on the development on the brain and eyes. I am sure you can google it and find a lot of info, I do not remember all of it off hand.

I give him the organic milk that’s fortified with DHA and I also give him a DHA chew.

There are several studies done on the effect of Fish oil on children…several of the studies concluded that omega oils are extremely beneficial in increasing the concentration span and also increasing brain power in children. Its very beneficial in calming kids in ADHD even more than medication itself. However, a recent study indicated that high doses of DHA increased the risk of cancer in mice http://www.emaxhealth.com/1275/fish-oil-increases-risk-colitis-colon-cancer-mice

On the contrary, another study proved that DHA can supress colon cancer growth…its sometimes hard to make certain choices. Personally, I have been taking a pharmaceutical grade fish oil from 3 months before I conceived my baby and yeah throughout my pregnancy too. I also give my baby yogurt with omega 3 in it. After reading the recent article …am kind of confused.

Thank you so much for your thoughts I have been quite confused myself. I keep hearing or reading about the benefits, the possibility there are no benefits and some negative results. I am currently taking the prenantal vitamins with DHA and 1 vitamin supplement a day. I will have to look for the yogurt with Omega3 next time we go shopping. How old was your baby when you introduced them to yogurt?

Thanks
Mela

She was 6 months old when we 1st introduced baby yogurt to her. I also give her salmon every other week.

DHA Omega 3 does really benefit developing babies, mainly their vision and brain development. It is recomended for mums to take DHA Omega 3 mainly during the third trimester of pregnancy and during breastfeeding. It goes through milk to a baby… I did it with both of my daughters. I did till my older daughter was 3 years old. And still take it with the second baby. I think it is very easy and safe way to give it to them through breastfeeding…

I am also a believer for Omega 3/DHA benefits especially for babies. I give my 11 month old baby DHA supplement in liquid form…I mix it with his formula since he hates the smell. Good thing, he doesn’t mind having it mix with his milk.

Hi,

I am also believer of Omega 3 and DHA. When i was pregnant & feeding i took tablet. Now we give her Horizon organic milk with DHA & Omega 3. We give toddlers formula too.

Swathi

I believe that it is very important for development. However, as with all supplements, it is always better to get DHA from natural sources rather than pill forms because they aren’t absorbed into the body as well.

Fish, nuts, flaxseed (ground is best) giblets, liver are all good sources of Omega-3s.

My prenatal vitamins I have continued to take while nursing have dha omega 3 and I take two fish pill supplements.
I agree that the natural source is probably better but I feel assured with the supplements.
I am also drinking milk that contains dha omega 3, using butter and other food items with added dha omega 3.
My son also loves eating avocados, which is a great source for dha omega 3. If it were up to him that is all he would eat everyday.

This article discusses and links to a couple of studies that found that DHA supplements were beneficial: http://hubpages.com/hub/DHA-Brain-Food-for-Your-Child. This is one of those things that is just starting to be studied a lot, so it will probably take a while before we can really know for certain whether supplementation is beneficial. It is probably best to give a supplement anyway, just in case it turns out to be helpful.

We give our children a DHA supplement daily, I think benefits my children and there is no downside, so we deem it worthwhile.

my family and I have been on Maxalife omega 3 fish oil capsules for years now. when the kids are involved, i make sure they get the purest fish oil form. can’t risk mercury and PCB tainted fish oil in my home. :slight_smile:

be safe, guys!

This is a good thread Omega 3. I like it. It contains couple of good views on DHA Omega 3. Thanks for sharing this thread.

Super cute movie - be sure to open the speaker ã„› ~

http://youtu.be/ag8E5n_TPMc