Does anyone know how the equations work on the Glenn Doman dot cards?

I purchased a Glen Doman Math kit and on the back of each card, in each corner are equations.

Does anyone know how to teach these?

Hi Sarah108,

Glen Doman suggests waiting until you have covered numbers 1 - 20. Then you do equation sessions separately to your quantity sessions. This way as they learn higher quantities you can use higher numbers with your equations. From memory I think you spend two weeks on each sort of equation (I could be wrong though, I’ll check if you don’t have the book). The equations on the back of your cards will help your child to deduce some of the more complicated mathematical connections between numbers - some numbers are special and have more interesting ties than others. I would suggest using the equations on the back but don’t feel limited to these.

Did you get the book with the kit? It is covered in chapter 9.

Start with addition. If the equation is 1+2=3 then you need the dot cards 1,2&3. Show 1 saying “one” put down the 1 card and say “plus” show 2 saying “two” put down the 2 card saying “equals” show 3 saying “three”. He will learn the words plus & equals by seeing them used in context.

It’s important to use the same vocabulary so the child can draw conclusions from what’s being presented to them.

Each session should have three equations, three equation sessions a day.

Avoid predictable patterns when creating equations (like doing 1+1=2,1+2=3)

Use the same method for subtraction and multiplication and division (in that order). Then you’re ready to move onto problem solving.

If you need more info let me know and I’ll dig out my book.

Hope that was what you were after :blush:

That’s EXACTLY what I was after, thank you, Karma to you!

Hi Sarah - a little late, but I wrote an outline of the Doman Math method on my blog:

http://figur8.net/baby/2010/07/25/how-to-teach-math-using-domans-red-dot-cards/