do you use a kindle for electronic reading with your kiddos ??

if you own a kindle , can you please share how you use it with your kids ?? I am really considering getting one for my kids like that i don’t have to worry about where to store our growing home library , save on shipping , ability to enlarge the font for our EL , instant access to dictionary for those unfamiliar words …
i read that it is better for reading than an ipad .
please share
viv

I don’t yet. I use a kindle app on my ipad for myself. I have not found a lot of children’s picture books for it yet. Although I admit I have not really looked. When James eventually moves onto chapter books in a few years I plan to get him one. One of the nice features is that if they do not know a word they can highlight it and look at the meaning. I also like that you can enlarge the font which will make it easier to read.
The Kindle app also supports PDFs. And the kindle FIre also has apps.

The kindle fire doesn’t have the nice screen hat you liked Bella and it is the only one that has colour. The others are black and white only, so great for novels, not so great for picture books.
They are very light and incredibly portable. 400 books in your back pocket :yes:

An e-reader is probably betterr on the eyes, but we chose I-pad. We all read alot on it. We use apps alot for school. There are a ton of flash apps, foreign lang, atc. She does her math on the pad. I personally would love an e-reader, but I haven’t found one that doesn’t hurt my eyes when it refreshes.

We read Dr. Suess apps on the kindle fire. It is cheaper than buying the book and has some animations which are okay.

i am hosting private gymnastic class once a week for my daughter and 2 of her friends . The dad came with his ipad and kindle and it was an occasion to chat about it and try both . I asked him about kindle fire he said if i consider kindle i shouldn’t go for kindle fire , it is just a cheap version of tablet i will be getting something similar to ipad but not as good , if i really want the reading qualities of a kindle i should go for regular kindle . onlt then i found out kindle is only black and white and my kids still enjoy illustrated colorful books , so kindle would be good for long novel when color is no longer important .
he himself showed me how much he is enjoying reading his national geographic magazine on his ipad , the kindle couldn’t be goo for that .

now can somebody please tell me why i am not receiving anymore updates on the topics i follow in bk . i only get the digest . So i have to come to the site and search if there is any reply on the topic i am following .
thanks
viv

I don’t yet (use an e-reader with my 22 month old) but I think we will in the future especially for travelling. My little boy loves the books that were available for download when we got LR on the ipad. I have an ipad with the kindle app. On another thread someone talked about the preschool prep apps & early readers. I started to investigate & the early readers are available for kindle & seemed quite cheap instead of buying the actual book + shipping. It’s not the same as holding a book but so handy!!

The ipad has a feature to define a word instantly as well but I don’t know if it works within an app, I haven’t tried it.

And then there is the International children’s digital library as posted by Kerileanne & they have an app… so hundreds of books in many languages, scanned in for instant availabilty, lots of colour etc… the format is the same as on the website - you can click on a page to enlarge it. And all free:-)

Sorry Bella I don’t know why you aren’t getting the updates… someone else will have to help out on that. I’m not that technically inclined:-)

I am not getting updates anymore either.

Hmm I am still getting updates…

I used android (until it was broken down). I was absolutely happy with it! I used it before before sleeping. you can read in darkness. you can hold device in one hand and the second hand is free for hugging. you can enlarge font of every book and so you can read together with your child, you can point the words and child can follow your finger in the text because the font is enlarged.

it sounds a bit impolitely but I think that android is better than real books for reading before sleeping.

My updates are back. It just seemed to be a 2 day glitch on my end.