Do you point to the words or to the pictures when you read to your child?

What do you point when you read to your child? The pictures or the words?

It’s getting quite confusing for me as I don’t know which is actually the better way for a child to absorb.

You are supposed to run your finger under the word while you are reading it. Here is a thread that should help http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-to-read/native-reading/

I run my finger under the text as I read it as explained in the post mentioned above, however I do also talk to my daughter about the pictures and then I point to the part of the picture I am talking about.

Sometimes when I first start reading a book to her I will not read the text at all, but just look at the pictures and “make up” the story. Later I go back and read the text to her and then run my finger under the text. For me the two are two different methods of “reading” the story. Occassionally I will get books out the library with no text just so my daughter and I can have fun with the book and just look at pictures.

Hi, i used the GD method to teach reading to my 3 children. They were able to demonstrate that they could sight read at 10, 14 and 18 months. I started teaching my eldest at around 16 months , my middle daughter around 10-12 months and my son from birth. I doubt that it really matters whether you point at the words whilst reading from a book provided your child is shown sufficient single sight words to intuit the phonic rules and that you introduce simple sentences once these words are known. If taught in this order left to right would be understood and pointing would not be necessary. Despite this i always pointed at text and or illustrations whilst reading to my children.
It took faith in the process, and discipline on my part to avoid the temptation to test. Testing introduces tension/anxiety which should always be avoided. I probably spent no more than 30 to 60 seconds a day showing the sight cards, ensuring that i retired familiar words and introduced new words daily. Review of retired words should be done briefly and ideally as part of two word , three word phrases and later simple sentences. For example, if you have taught the colours (which ideally should be matched to a colour card to give meaning) along with nouns/verbs you could review by pairing the words e.g. red door, black cat, green cat , running dog etc.
Choose a well structured series of enjoyable books to read that introduce new words gradually-ensure that you find the story interesting and have fun. There is no need to worry too much about the method of teaching. Have fun, be consistent and ensure that the text is large enough for your child to read. My children all read books independently prior to their third birthdays and have continued to enjoy reading.

while reading books, we first read the text.i let my daughter to touch and move finger along the text. then we go for the picture. this way i find it better and interesting.

my daughter follow the same way and teaches her toys. she spend most of time with the books than toys

Hi,

Thanks for the clarifications! I have read up on articles about showing only infants pictures while you read the word so as to keep their interest level going as words (given the nature that it’s not colourful or as illustrative as pictures), it might bore the infant. So it’s kinda confusing for me.

Both my boys are shown only pictures when they first read. Words come only later. Hopefully it’s not too late to change this method.

Though i new to brillkids,

However what i think is that one should first point to the picture and then to the words/name.

It is because, picture will attract the child and as such in order to develope his/her interest, picture should be pointed out first and then the words :nowink:

Puja

Hi,
you could try reading a little faster to maintain their interest. We found that we could read to our children and maintain their interest if we adjusted the pace. Once your child is talking you can ask open questions around the illustrations to maintain interest and promote language.

Hope that this helps.

I point to the words, but sometimes I will also point to whatever the story is talking about in the picture. I also sign some of the main words after I read them as well.

Thamks I will try to point out the text when i read a story to her next time …

Hi :slight_smile:
I started off with showing the pictures and then pointing to the words moving my finger from left to right. While we are reading the same books over and over, i just point to words and my son follows me. I have also made sure I buy books with large print and less illustrations. I have found that it works better…!

anjie

I was just pointing at the pictures and possibly showing the sign. Now I am going from left to right and find that she wants to copy that and is playing closer attention to the words as apposed to the pictures.

My two-year-old wants to know what everything is (the sund, the stars, the goat, the barn, and etc.) so I usually always point things out. I’ve recently started underlying the words with my fingers when I read to him if he lets me get that far. Usually he is more interested in learning what everything is called.

I started out pointing to the word or picture now my toddler does the pointing for me. Of course he wants me then to say the word, sometimes he whispers the word. He reads by whispering? He is now saying dis, meaning this, and points.