Do you let your child play with the flash cards?

My little one is going crazy about flash cards. She starts screaming as soon as she sees them and is trying to pull them out of my hands. This problem came around 18 months old. I didn’t worry about it because by that time we were pretty much done with YBCR and she knew almost all of the words. We took a break from the flash cards for about 2 months and today I showed her flash cards in Russian for the first time. She was puzzled to see something new so the session went fine, as soon as I was done she started screaming: “Cards!” and trying to pull them out of my hands. Now whenever she sees the cards in my hands she is trying to get them :confused: May be some of you have been through this already? Please share what you did in such situation.

I have a couple of questions for you, Does your daughter wants the flashcards to ply with them or read them ??Do you usually hide the flashcards from her after you are done reading them?
If I know this answers I will probably have a better understanding of your daughter’s behavior. :wink:

Thank you for replying PY, I really appreciate it.
I put the cards high up so that she can’t reach but she knows where they are and goes around that place begging me. I used to show her a card and then give it to her, she just looked at it, turned it and put it aside. I gave her YBCR cards yesterday (she know them all already) and she just looked at some of them, named some of them, put them back together and gave them to me. In 5 minutes she started asking for those cards again. I want to start dot cards and with such an attitude I will not be able to do flashing. Looks like such behavior is not common for the kids because only PY answered :confused:

I do let my daughter play with the flash cards. We play games with them, well we used to anyway. Now I think it’s considered “testing” so I don’t know if I should continue or not. With the YBCR flash cards, I put them all on the floor and tell her to go find “dog” or whatever, and she brings it over and puts it in the bucket (with lots of cheering and hugs). Or, I will line them all up on the ground and put the matching “item” next to the flash card (a toy horse next to the word horse, toy keys next to the word keys, etc). I encourage her to pick them up and handle them/explore them because I always want flash cards to be positive and fun for her, with no negative associations by telling her “no, no, no, don’t touch” etc all the time.

Sometimes now I will flash to both kids while they are in their high chairs, they cannot grab at the cards that way. Also, we are doing TW Math and LM, they can’t grab at the screen so that’s a non-issue.

Good luck!

Thank you for sharing, LilyAndOwensMom. I’m going to use more of Power Point now. She likes it and no problem with grabbing. I want to try to play a matching game tomorrow we’ll see how this goes (with old cards only).

Yes! I let my son play with them especially if he gets excited after a set and wants to see them again on his own terms. Of course I do it with supervision - no bending, tearing, throwing around. But sure, I let him get them all over the floor. He’ll sit with a big pile of them all around him. He’ll stare at them and read them to himself or to me or ask me, “Mommy, what does this one say?” When he’s satisfied I put them up again out of his reach. That will usually satisfy him for a few more days until he gets excited about another set. Also I leave the retired cards in a place where he can get at them and he looks at them as he will - but not usually too often - he gets more excited over the new cards.

I think this is great and I see no problem with it and it is something that a powerpoint or computer presentation can’t facilitate. Just think about it like a good book - you want to look at it again and again. I’m guessing that’s what your daughter wants to do and when the novelty wears off she won’t be grabbing for them anymore.

Thx for sharing, jaluitgirl . After a couple of days playing with the cards she is not so excited about them anymore. But she is still happy to play a matching game. She knows all the words from the flash cards so I put 9 cards with the names of animals on the floor (she reads them while I’m doing that) and give her a bucket with 11 animals. She takes one animal, says its name and puts it on top of the right card. She says “no sheep” if she cannot find a card with the word sheep, puts that sheep aside and takes the next animal.

Absolutely! I don’t really agree with the “mindless” flashing - great if the kid is happy with that, but my daughter would always watch the first few times, and then she wanted to play with the cards - it’s called interaction! She can learn so much by talking about the cards and playing games with them - yes, it would be called “testing” but it’s a game and she likes it, so where’s the harm? I put out up to 6 words on the floor now and get DD to find each word. Sometimes she gets her doll to find them - very cute! And then with a new word, I’ll show it to her a few times, and then I add it in with the others and get her to find it lots of times amongst the ones she knows - prob easy because she knows the others already, and in this way she learns the new card.

Yes, I agree with Fludo - and I would say that as long as it’s child led - meaning your child is the one asking for the cards and then you supervise her or play games with the cards - then I don’t think it is testing. I always let my son take the lead when he asks to play the cards. Let me clarify - I don’t ask him questions about the cards or what they say or to match them or whatever. If he wants to do those things then I let him and I interact the way he wants me to interact with him and the cards.

My dd loves playing with her cards & I often have a couple of sets in with her bag of toys to occupy her when we go out. Mine are laminated, so it is not a problem if she is a little rough. The biggest problem is her read & throw method. It is not fun to have to pick up & sort dozens of cards into categories!

Lily & Owen’s mom - I think it is OK to play games as long as it is fun for the child.Yes, this can be considered testing, but if the child is not feeling pressured, playing games may add to their enjoyment. Every child’s program should be geared to what they enjoy.

I used to take the flash cards with us in the car or when we were going to visit somebody. DD was occupied for some time. Oh, she is picking them up all by herself now. We have a rule: if you know how make a mess, you should know how to clean up :yes: At 21 months she does a pretty good job with putting her toys, cards and books away. I don’t sort the cards, doesn’t make sense if she will mix them up again next morning. I keep the cards for our matching game separate and don’t give them together with all the rest cards for her to play just to avoid sorting.