Do educational apps help kids?

I see many apps on play store and downloaded some of them from top 100. But i see my 4 years old son does’t like them. He is not good at learning at all i am worrying how can make him interests in study before i send him school.

Yeah , Educational Apps really help kids i downloaded many of educational apps my kid like many but most of the time spend on this app i think so this one is really intresting try yourself hope your kid also like this app here is the URL to download this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dd.catchthewordfree

Here is the Video.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x13wsjg_catch-the-word-abc-kids-game_videogames

THNX

Yes they do. But it depends on what the apps are and what they intend to teach. Many “educational” apps are more entertaining than educational and I believe a waste of time.
It is also highly beneficial to reinforce anything learnt via apps by using concrete play, and if they are older a more workbook approach with real pencil and paper.

Thanks for referring app. Its bit good but i think 4 years old baby can’t play it well.

I agree with Koralle4kq, it depends on the apps and it’s preferable you use real materials or manipulatives.

For instance, ReadingEggs has apps for learning Phonics, Sight-Words etc. We have been using their Phonics 1 app http://readingeggs.co.uk/apps/eggyphonics with great success. Our oldest has been used to it somehow because we worked with their online course and he got to level 5. THis app is organized different but the games and levels inside it reinforce the information and have embedded control and give feedback. It teaches phonics, sight words and writing skills. He has started to write letter because of that app and other apps teaching writing.

Other app that has success even with a 19 months old is related to Tangrams: http://www.appysmarts.com/application/my-first-tangrams-hd-a-wood-tangram-puzzle-game-for-kids,id_129.php

I don’t like all the apps for kids, and not even all the educational apps. I have selected about 200-300 of them but I don’t like all. They are not all very useful or complying to my requests or preferences. But they are fine.

Also, I am looking for apps made by those who created educational software that I know of and we love, like Sparkabilities, Little Pim or many others. Usually apps are different than the software so it’s a nice way to reinforce information.

I see iPad just as an aditional tool. It helps but is not the only thing nor the most important. On the contrary, I like manipulatives and things that need working with hands and other senses too, not just the eyes and not just some fingers. With a little balance things can be helpful and no addiction or side-effects appear :slight_smile:

Andrea

Apps that are “more entertaining than educational” can also have benefits, such as hand-eye coordination, motor skills, etc. But time should be limited and it depends a lot on the age of the child.

However, there is an interesting article here http://news.yahoo.com/benefit-mobile-apps-toddlers-questioned-153346597.html

"Everything we know about brain research and child development points away from using screens to educate babies," said Susan Linn, the group's director. "The research shows that machines and screen media are a really ineffective way of teaching a baby language. What babies need for healthy brain development is active play, hands-on creative play and face-to-face" interaction."

At one point, after seeing how discussions turn around when we read about studies (I mean people react a lot sometimes) and after watching my kids I have come to a conclusion: think twice about the studies when your kids show another thing!
I didn’t have the courage to speak to my son in a foreign language but he learnt it from using DVD’s, online course and now app. YES, it is true, for communication purposes he needs someone to talk to him for real on a one on one basis or he needs to hear the language spoken around him, and then work more with that language. But the foundation has been laid already by these materials using screens (teaching reading, writing, spelling, phonics). And his brain has been looking very good actually, for the last years cause we do MRI’s yearly.
Of course, as I mentioned above, I am for a balanced education, not a screen-only one. That is why he is doing many things (learning to play piano, hands-on activities, enjoying playing outside etc.) but using computer has been a great help in learning a language, even his own!

Sorry, I am skeptical about studies, especially about those related to educational materials - some of them do not convince me. And I’ve been literally watching through MRIs an injured brain and a kid develop in the last 5 years.

Andrea

I think they can, we use them in addition to other teaching methods

Thanks all of you giving me useful advises…

We have recently been gifted an iPad. This is something that I had never planned on using, simply because it wasn’t in our budget :nowink: I have been very carful about which apps I downloaded and let my daughter use. I didn’t want to waste the money on apps that weren’t going to actually help her learn! I mostly went with recommendations from friends here from BK since I know we have basically the same goals in mind for our kids. In the past month, I have watched my daughter’s math ability jump forward in leaps and bounds! I can only attribute it to some of the great math apps that we have been using. Since this is the very busy time of year for us on the farm (plus Momma hasn’t had the energy with work and new baby coming soon), I have been able to do less hands on math with manipulatives and the number line. It has been handy to hand her the iPad while we are moving from field to field and let her play a math game. I always am right with her, talking to her about it too, so I can monitor how she is doing. So at least in our family, YES! Educational apps have helped!