Discovery Education Streaming Plus FREE Trial

Homeschool Buyers Co-Op offers now a Discovery Education Streaming Plus FREE Trial (with no credit card). It’s until 31 August 2013.

Discovery Education Streaming Plus features:

Thousands of full-length videos from scores of producers, segmented into tens of thousands of content-specific clips tied directly to state and national standards.
Supplemental resources such as Assignment Builder, Quiz Center, Writing Prompt Generator, and more
Fast and accurate search functionality and dynamic navigation menus
The ability to customize and personalize lessons to different subjects, grades, and learning styles
Comprehensive K-12 curriculum coverage in six core subject areas.
Thousands of images
Membership in the Discovery Educator Network (DEN)
Interactive self-paced training
Exclusive Discovery programming such as Frozen Planet, Human Planet, LIFE, Into the Universe, Mythbusters, and Curiosity
Video series from trusted content providers such as BBC Worldwide, CBS News, Channel 4, Discovery Studios, Scholastic, TV Ontario, and Westin Woods
Hundreds of game, skill builder, and body atlas interactives
Thousands of self-paced math tutorials spanning concepts from basic addition to calculus
Thousands of audio files including podcasts, classic literature audiobooks, children’s literature audiobooks from Scholastic, and numerous supplemental study aids for auditory learners

Just join Homeschool Buyers Co-op and take a look :slight_smile:

Just got mine. Hope it works :smiley:

Let us know Manda! Everything I read in my email specified it was only available in the US or for military. I know lots of people outside the US who would love access, even through August!

Thanks!

For me it works well. I’m in USA.

No problem, until August I live in Houston Texas if anyone asks :wink: its working beautifully. :smiley:
I can’t download but I can stream.
Can anyone else download? How?

I’m finding all the videos are poor quality. They are ok to watch as a small screen but when I enlarge to full screen are too blurry. Is there some way I can change the quality??

Hmm. There may be, or it is reliant on your Internet speed. We have lite Internet; which is as slow as cable and DSL go; and I have the videos playing on a 32in TV. We do not have a computer monitor. Granted we only watch “grainy” low quality streamed things, so we are not used to anything HD.

It should be noted that some, perhaps many, of the videos on there are older and would have been recorded before digital. When things are converted from analogue (think VHS) to digital (think DVD) there is a grainy quality.

Watch something new from BBC try the frozen planet. If it is grainy then you have a problem. I am watching them on a 2 by 3 metre screen successfully ( yep big screen at work :yes: ) we always loose a little quality on the big screen but its a projector type setup so that’s expected.

if you have it , how are you using it with our el , so it is not just tv watching ???
viv

We listen Twin Sisters songs. They have a lot of educational songs on different topics and we love their 'When I grow up I will be…(marin biologist, astronaut, chemist, paleontologist, etc ) :

When I grow up, I want to be something very interesting.
The job I’ll do will help a lot of people, and I’ll like the work that I do. Each day will be adventurous, and I’ll strive to learn a lot.
Then I’ll share what I know and my knowledge will grow.
It’s the perfect, perfect job!

Now science is important, so I’ll study hard when learning about biology. Experiments in chemistry will help me learn to develop good hypotheses.
Then I’ll read and I’ll read and I’ll read some more, and I’ll share just what I learn, ‘cause when I grow up I want to be something very interesting.

Yes, I’ll share what I know
and my knowledge will grow. It’s the perfect, perfect job! The perfect, perfect job!

They have lyrics for each song also :slight_smile:

There is media available in various languages. I don’t mean Language Lessons (though they have plenty of those) but you can watch educational media in one of your other languages. There is Magic School Bus, Telling Tales, How its Made, Number Crew…stuff like that in English, Spanish, French, Arabic, Japanese and more

.Select the language you want on the bottom left hand side, then select the topic that you want. For example, Spanish: Mathematics or French Language Arts.

thank you mum2be , can you please explain more how to choose a language ??
viv

Yes. Here is how to choose a language. After you have signed up and signed in to Discovery Streaming website you need to

1. Go to “My DE Services” Tab, hover over it and click on “Streaming Plus” when the tab drops down.
  2. Select a Grade Range
  3. Select a Subject
  4. Select a Topic
  5. Once you are on the results page, scroll down and look on the lower left hand side you will see Language (this is DIFFERENT from World Languages–a subject!!!)
  6. Click on Language and select your preference. The most options exist for Spanish and French but they have stuff in a bunch of langugages.
  7. Enjoy.

Mum to be! Karma to you! My kids are about to triple their language exposure i never even considered looking for them in other languages! lol magic school bus in Japanese…off to check now!
Has anyone on the trial successfully downloaded anything? Instructions please :confused:

Manda, their trial has some features deactivated.

In full subscription version you can download in 3 different formats (various picture quality and size), you can also download segments of any video (very nice when someone want to use just a few minutes footage from the video in lesson prep). Many videos would also have transcript. That is actually a real handy feature, as you can copy key sentences in LR and put together a lesson real fast!

Same goes for audios.

The download button is simply not there in trial version, that is why you are not able to download. :frowning:

Skylark , are you using it to create little reader lessons ?? it is what i thought about it when we first tried it . my kids are loving animated heroes classics , today we saw Beethoven and my little ones were entranced , very moving biography , kids were happy to hear some of the pieces they listen to and practice with Softmozart like Fur Elise , ode to joy … the script is perfect for our young. But i was thinking what i can do to reinforce their learning . This can be amazing resources to create lessons in LR on various subjects : composers , artists, explorers ,… and would be a way for them to review and memorize facts .
I am using the free version for now and not sure i could afford the paid one later . better not get too excited about it , and figure a way to download few videos we like before we no longer have access to the site :slight_smile:
viv

Skylark. Fair enough. I was wondering if I could download so we could watch it in the car. Guess I will have to determine if its worth buying before the trial ends. So far I love it but there is so much stuff it’s hard to find the right one. Better for age 5 and up I rekon.

Hello, sorry for the silly question, how and where exactly can I sign up for the free trial? Thank you!

I am interested to join, what are the things to do?