Dialogic Reading Is it really as boring as it sounds?

Here is my next blog on Dialogic reading:

http://smartbabysmartkid.com/dialogic-reading-is-it-as-really-boring-as-it-sounds/

Good blog post. This is why we will never let of of picture books.
James has so many questions as we read. I feel that he enjoys books so ,inch more when we stop and chat as we read.

I was thinking about this the other day too! A neighbor visited who doesn’t know how to read, but that didn’t stop her one bit. She picked it up and immediately began to “read” it by telling a story. It’s the first time I had to pause and wonder if I have done my kids a disservice, if ever so slight, by teaching them to read- because it may hurt their imaginative story telling.
A few hours later my 2-year-old “read” a wordless book we checked out from the library, “Museum Trip”, and I felt a little better. Kids don’t have to use their imagination when they can read the words, but we can still give them this kind of stimulation in other ways, by play acting, by dialogic reading (now that I know what it is! Thank you.), and by presenting wordless books that force the story-teller to use their own words. A few other favorites are “Sector 7”, “The Snowman”, and “Free Fall”.
I’ve decided that this kind of reading is even much more important for early readers because they are less likely to do this kind of reading on their own.
All in all, it’s a great problem to have. :slight_smile:

I do this with my class sort of. we find an interesting but fairly busy picture and the kids take turns to tell me the story. Often I write it down for them. sometimes we take it in turns to add to the story child by child, sentence by sentence. I usually select a picture from a children’s picture book we haven’t yet read. I cover the words if I have any readers in the group, and put the picture on the big screen. always gets me a great story! :yes:

Great blog post!
We really enjoy dialogic reading, although my DD sometimes gets fed up with me continually asking her questions and tells me to just get on with reading the story lol
Manda - love the idea of looking at a busy picture and WRITING down a story that the child has come up with. I think this could work well for us.

Nice blog :slight_smile: I never knew this had a name - I have always naturally used these methods with my children. I do find however that different children respond differently - when reading to my niece she asks questions herself non-stop through the stories. My DD(5.5) very seldom asks questions but will respond if I ask her one and she has liked since she was tiny to relate books to her own experiences. She will even do this without being questioned on occassion. My youngest DD is not quite verbal enough yet for long discussions, but will give 3-4 word sentences in response to questions asked and is learning slowly to relate things to her own life.

As for telling stories from pictures - we are now doing this as part of a writing curriculum for my 5.5 year old and we always discuss the pictures in a book BEFORE I read the associated page with my 2 year old - partly to find out what she knows and what interests her and also to see if she is expecting something from the words. She is reading beginner readers herself now too, but I still get her to look at the pictures before she starts reading.

my 3 years old did it all the time without me asking her . We will lay down to read books , she will take the book from me and announce : Now my turn mama to read , she would not read but look at the pictures and come up with her story but she was so fluent you would think she is reading the text . At some point i got frustrated because our reading time was more her reading for me ""her way , story telling by looking at the pictures “” and not letting me read .
she never read bob books or phonic readers the way they are supposed to be read , Sam sat , sam sat on a mat … :slight_smile: she will go like this : one nice sunny morning sam sat on a mat and felt very hot blablabla :slight_smile:
viv