Developing Pre-Writing Skills

My son is 21m and loves to scribble. He has shown he is capable of drawing vertical and horizontal lines, but generally scribbles. How can I encourage his writing development to help him progress with lines and eventually curves, zigzags etc.? Pretty much all the things I’ve found online are for either letter practice or are very busy with lots of complicated patterns (swirls and steps and that sort of thing) where I need much more simple ones.

Thanks!

Kumon workbooks!
Available from 2 years of age: tracing, mazes, coloring etc…
Love them!

I think I am going to write a review soon on this, but check out www.thetvteacher.com, when it comes to writing, this program is the best thing since sliced bread!

http://www.tvteachervideos.com/

Also, lots of pouring (in the bath, baby pool) helps prepare the wrist for writing as well, or so I’ve read.

My son and I just have drawing time together. We both grab a crayon and I draw a line and I see if he will draw a line like mine. It is ‘follow the drawer’ kind of game.

So I recently met a woman who is a Montessori teacher. I was asking her how to start teaching my 3 yr old, left handed son to write. I’ve heard it’s better to start later so that they don’t learn bad habits. And since he’s lefthanded, It’s been awkward for me to try and figure it out. She gave me a great piece of advice on teaching him how to hold a pencil correctly. She suggested you take a pushpin (obviously with very close parental supervision) and you have a piece of paper or cardstock with a design or something on it, lay it on the carpet, and they take the pin and poke dots along the lines of the design (or on a blank paper), and they naturally grasp the pin with their 3 fingers, and this is the same grip they should have on a pencil. I thought this was a cool trick and am going to try it out soon. She also suggested that when he’s writting(left handed), that I start now and turn the paper so that the bottom right corner lines up with his bellybutton, so that it’s angled the right way and he learns to write correctly without bending his wrist around like some lefties learn to do. Just wanted to share.

Just to add some other ideas, you also can use a tooth pick, both work great!

This blog is really helpful
http://earlylearningathome.com/pre-writing-for-toddlers

Thanks for all the ideas. I try to get him to copy my lines at the moment, and he may or may not decide to cooperate. He’s just figuring out his own opinions on things (which unfortunately don’t usually coincide with what I want lol)

I’ve been really strict with his pencil grip, so he usually ends up holding it correctly after a gentle reminder or three.
I’ll definitely try the pin/toothpick thing. He LOVES poking things into small holes, so that should be a hit :smiley:

Something I tried yesterday was to get him drawing between the lines on a notepad. He didn’t quite get it, but it would be a great excersise for slightly older kids :slight_smile:

Kumon definitely works. Use one of those artist’s pencils, large triangle shaped with 6B lead, easier for little ones to hold. Make copies of the Kumon workbook sheets and use it on those. Try starting with numbers.

The Montessori pushpin exercise helps with connect-the-dot exercises. When I did connect-the-dot exercises with my daughter, she would say “pinch” every time she connected a dot.