Daily activity of your baby

hi moms and dads!

i dont know if this topic has already been posted. but i want to know what’s your daily program
or activities that works with your child.

after having flashcards, lessons, can you suggest any activity that’s fun and at the same time
educational too?

thanks!

Hi there, not too sure if this will be very educational but usually we make tea! I then ask my three year old son what words he liked the most. Or we repeat the “hey diddle, diddle” rhyme together. We have a garden, so some times we go out and look for a ‘pink flower’ etc.

TABS

Hello, Danellie.
What age is your child? There are diffirent activities for different age groups.
As for much daughter, she enjoys drawing. We usually take a big sheet of paper and draw something together. You can show your kid different drawing techniques, mix the colors etc.

We like to play with blocks or a toy that K puts balls in, read books, draw pictures, or get some excercise outside on playground equipment.

hi moms! :slight_smile:

my son is 22 months old.

are you following a specific schedule or lesson plan for the day?
aside from LR what other tools are your child also engaged in?

oops I was trying to answer a different post :confused:

Hi , these are the daily activities with my baby
Apart from LR and flashcards we also enjoy making other different activities:
watching supersimplesongs videos or some other you tube videos because we love singing and dancing
playing at home with toys : blocks, shapes that have to be put inside a turtle, drawing, playing football, playing the piano or the drum, reading books
going out to visit friends, family, to buy or going to the park to see other babies and children and socialize
a walk around the house learning all objects, furniture, etc. It started as a way to teach him house vocabulary but now it is another play
As I am Sanish but teaching my baby English, I spend some parts of the day talking to him in English, singing English children songs for him, etc.

It looks like you’ve been quite busy :slight_smile: thanks for sharing your routines, it gave me some ideas for implementing my babies’ routine :smiley:

Thx for sharing moms. :smiley:

My 3 months baby only sleep & drink.
But she always need a lot attention after feeding.
She wants me to talk, sing & hold her hand, make her smile until she fall asleep.
As a new mom, I really feel tire on it.
hahaha!

hi! :slight_smile:

I believe you would want to know what DomanMom’s activity in a day with her son.

Check this out! We will get tips and learn a lot.

hi DomanMom!

I’ve been reading all of your replies here in the forum and I’m always looking forward
to it for me to read and even take note of some important points you have said.
I find you very dedicated. Your son is very lucky to have such a wonderful mom like you.

If you don’t mind, may I know if you are following or having a daily schedule for a lesson or activity? For instance, in the morning when your son wakes up, he will be doing this… then after breakfast, another activity/lesson. next, after a nap in the afternoon, another activity or lesson and so on…
If so, can you share some of these activities or lessons perhaps and when is the best time you are doing them - a daily schedule.

Thanks a lot. I’ve learned so many from you…

Danellie

Hi Danielle!

Yes, schedules! Wow, when I first started doing Doman one year ago the biggest thing I wanted was other moms’ routines! It seemed like an incomprehensible task (25 sessions of reading, 9 sessions of math, 30 sessions of encyclopedic knowledge, plus like 10 sessions of music, 30 sessions of physical activities, oy!) It seemed impossible, but once you get in the habit it is just such a breeze!

I have been putting together this survey of “How Do You Do It?” and it basically just asks a bunch of questions so that new moms can see how seasoned moms do it. I think this will be a great help but unfortunately, I don’t have it ready yet!

Anyhow, about our schedule, like Doman says, mornings are really our sacred times. I wake up at 5:00 every morning so I can go clean at a Taekwondo school, which gives me some extra money to buy materials. I get back at 7:00 and we eat breakfast and wash dishes, then it’s time to “play school”.

Sometimes we spend most of the morning on “lessons”, other times we spend it on projects, which I believe are equally, probably more, important. Our “lessons” are things like music, drawing, Bible story, computer, puzzles, martial arts, story time, and reading games and math games. It sounds like a lot, and we usually don’t do ALL of our lessons each morning, which is fine with me. And also, each “lesson” takes less than thirty minutes, usually around 10 or 15 each. Like we’ll spend 10 minutes practicing piano, and maybe 20 minutes reading a bunch of stories. Usually we’ll end up doing two or three things, and then working on a project - like cleaning up the yard, remodeling, organizing the basement, etc. It’s more important to me that he learn character and a hard work ethic through hands-on, real-life projects than it is to learn how to play the piano. So I try to work with him all the time, which I consider the most important part of our schooling. Also, he ALWAYS helps me preparing meals, which we learn a lot of stuff in our “Preschool in the Kitchen”, and he also has his own chores, like making his bed, cleaning up his toys, and we vacuum and tidy the rooms each day. I learned a lot from an organization called No Greater Joy, specifically their article on “Working Character into Your Children”. It changed the way I think about a lot of stuff. I’ll provide the links below, in case you’d like to learn some more about the importance of working with little kid - all the way down to your babies. They have a lot of other great articles too, like 500 of them! I love the site, hope you enjoy it.

http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/articles/general-view/archive/2002/october/01/working-character-into-your-children-part-1/

http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/articles/general-view/archive/2003/january/10/working-character-into-your-children-part-2/

But anyway, right now we haven’t been having a very concrete routine. I’ll be posting our routine up on my blog once I get it figured out. But basically, after breakfast we do lessons and projects until lunch time, around 11:00, and then we make lunch and eat at 11:30. After lunch we clean up and do chores, and then usually have reading time until his nap which is at 1:00. He sleeps until around 3:00, and then he has a snack, and we usually do some activity like a puzzle or lesson, or play outside. Then around 4:30 we start making dinner, and spend the remainder of the evening with the family. At 7:00 we start getting ready for bed, give him a bath, and get all of our clothes and materials out for the next day. He’s in bed by 8:00, and I usually take a shower and go to bed myself.

So, that is our schedule, and this is how we work all of our “Doman stuff” into it: At breakfast and lunch, we read three chapters of the Bible for a total of six chapters a day, so we get through the whole Bible twice a year. Mealtime is also a time where I show him two sets of word cards. I also have a set of words in the bathroom that I show him after each meal when we brush our teeth, and one by his bed that I show him when he gets dressed, before nap, and before bed.

I have a small book bag that I carry around with me all day. In it I usually have about 5 sets of bits, plus twenty Bible verses, a chapter book that we’re reading (like Treasure Island), our classical music CD, sheet music for the hymn we’re learning, and a poetry book. Throughout the day, I will show him his bits whenever he is interested. I usually show him two or three sets back to back, sometimes all of them, sometimes only one - it totally depends on his mood. I read him the Bible verses for him to memorize in the same way that I teach him bits. When we’re in the car, or sitting down to an activity, or making lunch, I’ll pop in the classical music piece of the week and we’ll listen to that while we’re doing whatever it is we’re doing. Sometimes while he’s playing with blocks, or riding his tricycle, or we’re waiting in line somewhere, or whatever, I’ll pull out our chapter book and read him a chapter or two. We also will read that at our story time in the morning, or before nap, or before bed, or before all of those. The poetry book I also pull out at random, and just read him one of the poems, telling him the name and the author.

Keeping all of my stuff in one bag and taking it with me everywhere I go makes everything so easy, I just pull something out whenever we have ten seconds and he’s in a receptive mood (like not distracted with something else). And he’s learning SO much in those little ten-second spurts.

For physical activities, we have “exercise time” several times a day - I try to do it at least five, but sometimes we do less. Each of these times takes about 10 or 15 minutes: we brachiate, swing on his rope swing, hang for 30 seconds, walk the balance beam, do log rolls, do somersaults, spin around multiple times, and other stuff like walking on his hands while I hold his feet, playing on his sit-n-spin, using the hopping ball, etc. Also, each morning we go down the street to the running track and run / walk about a mile, which takes about 20 minutes.

And the last thing that we do is on the computer - I make him a “bit time” video every week that usually has about 5 - 7 categories of bits for him to learn. It also has reading words, perfect pitch, and Bible memory (like books of the Bible, etc.) These are about 5 minutes long. He watches these three times a day, and we also do our math lesson once a day on the computer, which take 3 minutes. We also do little reader categories (mostly foreign languages), and sometimes play foreign language games. I try to do this computer time first thing after breakfast, after morning snack (at 9:00), and before nap, but it doesn’t always work that way and sometimes we do it after nap, before bedtime, or whenever.

Oy! Seems like a lot, but it really isn’t that much. Like I said, we like to spend most of our time on real-life projects, and probably spend a total of 2 hours a day on “schooling stuff”. I hope this wasn’t too confusing, I’m really looking forward to getting together that survey to help make this more clear. Hope this helps!

Wow!

I wish I can do the same for my son.

Do you mind if I will post this in the forum?
I’m sure many will benefit from this.

Thank you so much Elizabeth… for your time and
for imparting this to me. I learned so much and realized so many.

Can’t wait ‘How Do You Do It’ survey! I’m sure many will learn from it too!

Thank you so much and yeah I wouldn't mind at all if you posted it in a forum, I was planning on posting something similar myself but didn't yet because I was waiting to get my survey together.

With my daughter I usually let her play a bit by herself in the first hour of the morning (about 06:00 til 07:00)- usually she brings me things and I’ll comment on them, but its up to her to decide from anything she can find in the room she is in at the time. Then I change her nappy, dress her and me and have breakfast.

If I am at home after that (I work part time mornings only) then we usually play with her toys - blocks, crayons and various gross and fine motor toys. When it gets a bit warmer I take her outside and show her things in the garden or we go for a walk. She usually has a short nap at 09:00. She likes to spend some time kicking a ball down the passage or trying to pat the dog (who runs away usually) Sometimes we play “row row row the boat” which also helps with physical activity.

Lunch is at 12:00 for her and usually at 13:00 for the rest of us when she has some of our food too if she didn’t eat enough at 12:00. I try to take her out somewhere with me everyday - either to the shops or the beach or to visit someone. Her favourite store at the moment is the fruit and vegetable store near our house as there really are a lot of things in there to name and touch and point at. I also read to her often during the day - any time she brings me a book (and we leave at least one in almost every room in the house) and also before bed.

She has another nap at about 14:00 for an hour or so and then plays again with her toys. The bedtime routine starts at 17:30 with supper and then bath time after which we have a hopefully more quiet play time and then a story before I play her a CD while I rock her to sleep. Most of the educational flashcards are fitted in around the routine whenever she is receptive, but I have only started teaching her to read so am still trying to see how many sessions I can fit into the day when my toddler is extremely busy and active all day.

Hi everyone… Here is my list of stuff that my son and I do pretty much daily…

He wakes up late compared to most of the kids I have been reading (about 8am-8:30). I get him ready for the day, and bring him downstairs for breakfast. Usually after breakfast he watches an episode a Yo Gabba Gabba (I never gave this show a try, but now that I have I can’t believe how educational it is). He sings along and dances to all the songs. Each episode is about something in particular… Like Greetings, Love, Being Careful, etc… I have them all recorded so each day I put on a new one and he now knows every lyric pretty much!!

Then I take out his stacks of flashcards and he and I go through them until he gets bored but usually he is pretty good and will stick with me! For some reason lately he has been kissing each of the pictures of his favourite words! ha ha… Did I mention he is a character?

Then we usually go for a walk and get some fresh air and come back home in time to have lunch (I do this to work up his appetite, cause he is not much of an eater. It helps).

Then after lunch we’ll flip through some of his books, or other educational tools i have for him such as puzzles and games.
His favourite game is Pictolino - I bought it at a store that caters to more educational toys for children. It’s a great game and my son is addicted to it. You have to match up the pictures with the chips that have the same picture on it.

Then he’ll have his nap, which is usually fairly long - and I get my housework and other stuff done! :nowink:

After his nap we’ll go down to the basement where he has a playroom and he plays with some toys and stuff - let’s off some steam basically…

Then depending on the day, we’ll either play with his mega blocs - he just started enjoying them…
or I’ll put down my vinyl tablecloth and bring out the play doh and he and I will let our creative juices flow!

Lately since I found this site, I try to incorporate it into the schedule of stuff… there are a lot of good learning tools here and now that I see how interested his in his flashcards I am always looking for more ways to stimulate him.

Sometimes, I also will visit a few different websites like Nick Jr.com or PBS.com to play some of the toddler computer games with him.
Although he is no where near learning to use the computer, I can manage to get him to hit the space bar to make one of the character jump or move the mouse to navigate with my help… of course. But it’s good cause it’s teaching him the basics. Also the games are pretty educational… so it’s a fun way to teach him things.

I usually change it up and throw in new situations for him each day… he really likes music and not just kiddy music. He loves singing and dancing to all different kinds of music so sometimes I will just let him hang around the family room playing with some of his toys and listening to music. He seems to really appreciate it. It’s our chill time.

Hi Gmailgirl,

Have you tried the Picture Dictionaries from the IAHP? they are great and you get all those bits on diferent languages (English, Spanish, Italian, Japanese and French) they are fantastic we use them every day. Right now they have a special going on for the month of January so if you are going to get them this is a great time.

http://www.gentlerevolution.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=G&Category_Code=CDR

I also use the dvd’s from Right Brain kids - this is the way we start every day as they have such great relaxing tone we watch them in bed just as soon as we wake up, my daughter loves them and ask for them every morning, that way by the time we go for breakfast we already got one set of great lessons out of the way. this is the link to those dvds :

http://www.rightbrainkids.com/component/page,shop.browse/category_id,24/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,26/

Hope this helps - they helped me a lot.

Have a great week

Gloria

ps: I DO NOT HAVE ANY FINANCIAL INTEREST IN ANY OF THESE 2 COMPANIES

WHILE I DO STUFF AROUND THE HOUSE WE SING SONGS, AND I TAKE 30 MINUTES EVERY SO OFTEN OF FLOOR TIME WITH HER

hello dear!

You know Im a working mom but my work is not in the office im free lancer civil engineer and at the same time taking up masters degree in civil engineering… i took care of my son til he was 8months and got a full time baby sitter then… during the the 8month period i always right down schedules of my sons routine so he will adopt to it and later on let the baby sitter do it for me… but i always find precious time with my son to play, talk and read… every now and then i check on his schedule if it needs to change into a more advance one… i usualy buy educational toys that would make him think… but aside from that i always consider what interests him and my boy loves to play basketball and loves to dance… may 14month old boy shoots and dribbles the ball, he even dance in any kind of music even before he cant walk…

this quote is my guide… hope it could give you idea…

“The best way to take advantage of the windows of learning oppurtunity is to expose your child to an environment filled with words, sounds, pictures, books, textures, music, objects and oppurtunities to play and explore.”

We like going out to the backyard and feeling the different textures and feelings of things out there. The rough fence, the smooth iron of the shed, the green leaves and grass etc. Sometimes we sit out on the front step and watch the cars go by saying the colour of the car or what type of car it is. Koen loves the big trucks.