couplets

hi everyone…

i wanna know that while showing couplets to my kid , is it compulsary to join the 2 retired 1 words n show ??? can i take 2 new words together n show him…coz i doubt that seeing the old words again my son will get bored??

pls clear the confusion…

regards,
prince.

happy to apreciate you for showing the cards to your child and its my privilage to guide…

yes you can also add 2 cards.but he should enjoy the sessions.this is vry important.

:) thank you 
                                                                 jessynaidu.k.India.

I think initially you want to do words that your child already knows. In putting together two words that he already knows you are teaching him about the rules of reading and how we put words together to make sentences, and that we read from left to right.

But if it were to be two completely new words, it would not be nearly as obvious that they were actually two individual words rather than one word. He doesn’t yet know that a space in between means a separation of two individual words. Kids are pretty smart, and I’m sure he would figure it out eventually, but if you just make it crystal clear from the beginning there will be no confusion and he’ll catch onto the idea of sentences and reading left to right quickly.

He probably won’t be as bored as you think, at least initially he will likely find it interesting to see two of his old friends coming together to make a completely new concept. However really quickly you can and should move onto new concepts, such as simple sentences. And you can also begin doing couplets and sentences that have some words that he does know as well as some new words that he doesn’t know, like if he knows the word “bear” you can make a couplet that says “big bear” or a sentence that says “the ferocious bear” (if he already know the word “the”). The sky is pretty much the limit once he understands how sentences are composed, but one of the easiest way to teach him how sentences are composed is by making couplets and simple sentences with words he’s already familiar with. He’ll catch on fast and, and if you keep it fun he’ll think it’s interesting, and as I said after that the sky is the limit.

thanku Elizabeth n jessynaidu for ur advice…

Elizabeth that means i really have to go through all the previous cards n then form the couplets right…i thought joining just 2 new words would be simple n also he will lern more n more new words…the concept of sentence was not on my mind…thanks for the new vision…

regards,

prince

Hi,

I am showing the hard copy word cards to my son. Initially he was really excited whenever i brought out the cards and mentioned the words ‘reading time’. Now he can’t be bothered and often doesn’t look at the cards when i flash them. How do ignite his interest again or capture his attention when he look away from the cards? The only time he looks is when he is laying down drinking his milk fr. bottle, i tend to flash the cards during this time. Is this a good time to do it when he is doing something else (ie drinking).

My first goal is to cover 200 single words, when would be the time to move on to couplets? After the 200 words or more?

tks

I’m also having a problem with my baby looking away - when she does that I just stop the session and try again later. I also wanted to ask what times you use to show your baby the cards. My daughter is just over a year old and cannot sit still - in fact she was dancing away tonight stomping and turning circles on some crinkly paper around supper time - she’s too busy to eat let alone read!

Anyway, what I do is show her the cards when I first put her in her high chair (either before or after meals depends on how hungry she is) Tonight I tried to show them to her when she was in the bath as she sits still in there and is relaxed (and the cards are laminated so won’t run) I’m sure it won’t matter if he has his bottle in his hand - my daughter almost never has her hands free - she’ll either be clutching a soft toy or some other gadget, so I just let her.

Not too sure about the couplets - I don’t think she needs a specific number of words and I would imagine that the earlier you can start with couplets the better. I know the keywords reading scheme’s first book contains only 16 words and has sentences in it, so even after very few words you could make couplets, phrases and even sentences.

One more question on introducing couplets…I wish to know if i should put two of the retired cards side by side to make the couplets or rewrite the two words on a fresh piece of paper?(but now smaller font)

Also, when do I change from red ink to black ink?

tks for help.

lamp: Um, for when to introduce couplets, it totally depends on the age of your baby. If you’re starting with a three-month-old you’ll be focusing mostly on single words, and can probably start introducing couplets whenever you feel it would interest your baby. I think Doman says after a couple hundred words.

However if you’re starting with an older toddler, i.e. 18 months +, you’ll want to get to couplets and sentences as soon as possible, because he will find this more interesting than individual words. I think Doman recommends at this age to start couplets after like 50 words, but those 50 words have to be chosen carefully so that they can be made into couplets, i.e. teaching some nouns like names, animals, and possessions and then teaching words that you can use for couplets like colors, adjectives, and verbs. So you could do like “orange truck” and “silly Mommy” and “Johnny eats”.

I plan on introducing couplets, with my next baby, around 6 months, as he will have seen a couple hundred words by then and can begin putting them together. But there is no particular rush with small babies, you can begin whenever you want.

Also, about when to change to font color, you would switch to black when black is easier to see, I think when you get the font size to about 1 inch. When the font is this size is that small black contrasts with the white easier than red does. I think you can get this small at about age 1 1/2, I don’t think there are any guidelines though.

Hi, so do i put both words on a new card? or pick the old words and put side by side?
tks

You can do both. You can make it more of a game by laying out a bunch of cards and making different combinations (picking them up and placing them side by side) and/or you can sometimes go for the faster flash card way, and write couplets and sentences on a single strip and read them aloud as you show them quickly. However you want to do it works, as long as it’s joyful and brief!