Considering incorporating two (written) languages into the same lesson.

I didn’t really know how to word the title effectively or accurately, so please excuse the ambiguity. lol

I was doing physical flashcards with my son today, both baby signing time flash cards and LR print outs. It seems silly in a sense to “reprint” everything in English and in Spanish and show twice, although I do to extent as time allows, but maybe it’s better for comprehension to do it separately anyway? Let me explain.

I’m not sure how this would be done, but perhaps there is a way to show the picture and the word in English and in the second language at the same time, just to be less time consuming and more efficient? All I can think of is for a multi-sensory lesson, using a 3 photo per page photo album and filling the middle slot with the picture and the other two with words, for us it would be one in English & one in the Spanish translation. I would also be concerned about sourcing a big, big photo album that holds three 5 x 7’s per page although I’m sure someone makes them, my kids still prefer big text although they will read smaller text. I think an album with three 4 x 6 slots would be a lot easier to come by though and would probably be big enough.

http://www.archivalusa.com/k-stc-504.html

First I would say “Dog” and underline the English word with my finger, and then “perro” and do the same with the Spanish word. The picture of the dog would go in the middle.

I don’t think this two language method would work very well for flashing? But for multi-sensory it seems like it might. Or maybe it would be confusing for the child, I’m not sure. My 2 year old would NOT be confused by this, she has a very good understand of the two languages and their sounds. My 12 month old, I’m not as certain. I think he would do okay if I started with words he already knows in English, ASL, and Spanish, and he could get the hang of the system.

Do anyone know of any other good office supply binder inserts and such that might work well for this, or have any other good ideas? I’d love to hear them.

Thoughts?

Personally, I haven’t used such method because, as far as I understood - and I maybe wrong - shown both written languages is not right brain method, but it’s using more the left brain. And our son should have much more a rightbrain approach as it’s the part he needs to develop more. So even it’s the same words I’m teaching him, it’s in different lessons and different ways (verbal, written etc.) also.

Of course your idea wouldn’t be confusing for the child cause they grasp it easily, as you know too. For me it’s just a matter of brain part function when creating lessons.

Andrea

We do both left & right brain stimulation. I do right on the computer hooked up to the TV using LR & LM (LR for languages in this case of course) and then also print out the (many of the same) slides for multi-sensory/left brain reinforcement. This way we are covering all the bases and we treat the LR binder flap system just like a book. I also sign along whenever I can. I personally choose not to abandon books just because we’re doing right brain stimulation as well, essentially BK flap binders are just modified/simplified books.

My kids get RB stimulation too but I like to do both, each kid can have different learning preferences and until I am 100% certain what those are, doing both is god insurance IMHO. Besides, my kids really enjoy the multi-sensory lessons.

I just figured if I can present both languages at the same time, it would make things a lot more efficient and possibly help with retention as long as it doesn’t confuse. In the morning light re-reading this thread, doesn’t seem like it will confuse them. Rather, it seems like the same as presenting a bilingual book to a child, only this one, like the flap system, has words that are refillable and exchangeable as it is mastered.

I am going to put this project on my to-do list.

Interesting - let us know how it goes! I don’t think it will confuse. The child just learns to associate something (via picture/video) with 2 different words, both of which are correct. Only question is whether it would be better to focus on one language at a time. I wish I knew the answer to that. You should just go by gut feel according to how your son responds.