Confusion - any tips?

I’ve been using little reader and ybcr dvds/flashcards with some really exciting progress, however there are a few things that my son is starting to get confused by.
In particular, he used to understand ‘arms up’ but now can’t seem to differentiate between that and ‘arms down’. He ends up getting frustrated after one or two attempts and then doesn’t want to play flash cards anymore.
Is anyone else having this trouble?
Should I take these cards out the pack, or just leave them until the end?
It seems such a shame to remove them when he clearly recognises it’s something to do with his arms, but I don’t want to frustrate or upset him, as it was always such a fun game for him until now.
:confused:

Hello :slight_smile:

I think you are doing really well that he is realising that “arms up” is to do with arms - and I agree that its a shame to remove them now. Maybe have a day or two without those ones?

However you might try this tip… make sure he is always right with lots of praise - for instance - if he recognises “arms up” by moving his arms down - you say "YES :smiley: ARMS !! - then you hold his arms up and say YES!! arms UP !! So when the “arms down” one comes along do the same thing moving his arms downwards.

Seems to me that he will at least start to enjoy the flashcard game again :yes:

I don’t pretend to be an expert - even after doing baby reading with my eldest (now grown up) and trying LR with my 3 youngest grandsons who stay over frequently. Also no-one knows your son as well as YOU do lol

Thanks, I have been trying to praise him when he gets it right, but hadn’t really thought of saying ‘yes- arms’ I had just been saying, ‘no sweetie, arms UP’
I’ll give it a try again and see how we go.

Thats the idea :yes:
I find the best way is to avoid the negative - ie turn it into a positive by praising the bit of response thats right, and reinforcing the response that you hope for. He’ll get there :biggrin:

That’s a great idea carpe-diem…let us know how it goes katiejo :yes:

Hey that’s good one

By the way - if the little learner gets the whole thing wrong - I would suggest simply repeating the correct word/action yourself in very bright positive tone and move on to the next card. Then I would make sure of doing that one again in the near future to reinforce it.

I heard that when children learn to read when they get to primary school - they will need at least 16 repetitions at intervals for every word/letter they see in order to internalise it - this applies whether its a whole word or phonics method. Then reinforcement later increasing the interval with revisions every week.
Remember that is for kids of 5yrs up - think how much quicker our kids are drinking it all in - they are like sponges just soaking it up.

The way we do it - they learn in a small family group - even one to one - that is more valuable than one teacher trying to turn 24 or more kids into enthusiastic readers who love books.

Also I think the same is bound to apply when we have the benefit of “Little Math” and “Little Musician” :wink:
By the time they go to school I’m sure they will have time for so many more interesting things to learn.