Confused! Right brain stimulation and early reading methods the same thing?

Hi all,

I’ve been trying to follow the posts in the forum and am excited to start teaching my DS. My main priority is actually in stimulating his right brain i.e photographic memory, languages, etc. Of course, learning to read early is a bonus too.

I have YBCR Dvds and their flap books and their word cards and lift the flap cards (Set 1).

I’m just wondering, by doing this… am I already stimulating his right brain? I believe that right brain stimulation requires flashcards to be flashed at 1-2 seconds per card. Will I be able to teach my baby to read, if i go that fast?

Or did I get it wrong. Right Brain Stimulation (photographic memory, languages) requires a different method and learning to read is another method (YBCR).

Help clear my sudden confusion, please, someone? Thanking you in advance.

YBCR is more of a left-brain approach. You are right, the words need to be flashed at about one second or less to stimulate the right brain. But don’t fear, you can still do a lot to stimulate the right brain and still use YBCR. It is good to do both.

http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-to-read/ybcr-left-brain-stimulation/

You might also bear in mind that some people (like me) think that the whole right brain-left brain theory is overused and misunderstood. I don’t think in those terms at all; I try to figure out what works best for my little boy, and then do that.

Nhockaday, thanks for pointing me to that discussion…looks like someone else had already asked the exact same thing! That clarifies things for me a lot.

Daddude, true with what you say. I’m still exploring with how receptive my DS is to all these. I also don’t want get too many overlapping systems. Being a newbie, I am thankful for such a forum and have to rely on the experiences of the more ‘advanced’ parents.