Computer/technology EL module interest?

I recently was watching a human interest story on the local news about a joint project between the GeekSquad at the electronics store BestBuy, the computer science department from the local university, and the Gifted/talented program at the local Junior high…and while I thought it was a great idea, I found it appalling that it was such an ‘out-there’ idea, destined to only include about 10 kids…it got me thinking, and I would like to present the same concepts to my two-year-old, obviously in a series of age-appropriate EL style slides/videos…I am interested in any feedback or interest for sharing…

It goes something like this…my husband and I are scientists, chemistry/biology)’ and are often compounded by the ‘black box’ phenomenon…nobody is actually interested in how something works, only that it does…this recent story had a small group of junior-high students dissecting old computers under the watchful eye of experts…so they were learning the names and functions of basic computer parts, as well as how it all worked together! Most people, myself included, have an extremely rudimentary understanding of this, and I am now desperate for my child to learn this. She, along with all of those in her generation, will be surrounded with technology, and I truly believe that a basic grasp of the technology will serve her well…

Fortunately, I have a brother-in-law with specialization in this area, and the time/willingness/excitement to help in this endeavor!

I would love to know if there are others interested in this type of thing for their itty-bitties. It would take some time, and I am not sure whether to do PP with videos, or YouTube clips, but would love to share with anyone interested…any/all input greatly appreciated!

Yes! I have thought the same thing so many times. I am definitely interested. :smiley:

yes, we’re interested. since j was 1, as i’m sure many children in his age group, he has had an interest for putting things together and taking them apart and trying to put together again. while we’ve been teaching him ‘computer literacy’, i have a suspicion that part of it will eventually include how it works too, so sure, why not now :slight_smile:

I laugh when my sister tells me to teach my kids binary code maybe she’s on to something ;). Hubby’s a geek by trade and I look forward to the kids taking apart computers and learning to program with Daddy. :biggrin: If you make some PP’s on the subject, we’d love to use them!