Computer Programs for Phonics

Anyone use any computer programs teaching phonics or other skills, like Reader Rabbit, JumpStart?

I bought Reader Rabbit - my son won’t even look at it. I was inspired to try these programs because my parents bought him Disney’s Phonics Quest some time back and he loved it. He’s always enjoyed Mickey Mouse stuff. I liked it because it was something he could do on his own (which I handle my younger one) and he was learning. At first he was just wildly guessing but after a while, when I peeped over his shoulder, I could see he actually knew the answers.

It’s a fun way for him to learn phonics while playing a game. I wrote a review about it on my blog:

http://figur8.net/baby/2010/02/03/review-disneys-phonics-quest/

How old was he when doing the Disney Phonics?

My DS was doing Sebran when he was 2yrs old and he saw me n his uncle play (deliberately to get his interest in it!) Big City Adventures… Also we had some other Phonics CD, which I have misplaced, will have to check for the name… also LR has its Phonics which I try to still expose my son to. also I have also started a CD called Spelling Made Easy…

Finally my son has now started to spell out words on his own and this is so much of a success for me!!!

I use Letterland CD Rom " Living ABC " and a lot of children like it. It got stories, songs and activities. The disadvantage of this CD Rom is that it only teaches the alphabet sounds but it has a whole bunch of vocabulary related to each initial sound. Don’t buy the other CD Rom that that teaches digraphs for it is not as interesting and the children don’t like it that much.

Search for “The Letter Sounds Song” from Youtube Video, it is good, too.

Hope it helps!

Mable