Comparing Doman and Shichida Schedules

Hi Baby Mathsters!

I think a lot of people (myself included) have been wondering what exactly the difference is between the Doman and Shichida methods.

Thanks Agnes for sharing the Shichida lesson schedule with us - without you, it would have remained a mystery to many of us!

I have made a document comparing the Doman and Shichida schedules, as far as quantity and equation lessons go (see attached).

It shows the weeks/days and how many quantities/equations per day. For Shichida, the no. of equations per day varies, so you will see something like “(x7-10).” This means you do between 7 and 10 equations per day.

If anyone spots anything incorrect in this document, do let me know!

(NB There are times when Doman is not that specific about how long to spend on something. I’ve set aside 3 weeks whenever he said “a few weeks.”)

I have some questions about the Shichida method - wonder if anyone can help clarify the following…?

1. How many lessons are there per day with Shichida?

2. Do you show the same equations more than once per day?

3. You show addition/multiplication for 10 days, but subtraction/division for only 5. Is this because it’s easier to grasp subtraction after addition, and division after multiplication (they being the opposites of each other)?

4. Why do you have a different number of equations on different days?

5. Mixed + and – equations are not followed by mixed x and / equations. Is this because three-step multiplication and division are considered more difficult than three-step addition and subtraction? (This is not something I could imagine Doman ever admitting to. He would probably say that if a calculator can do multiplication as quickly as it can addition, then so should our superior human brain!)

Soon there could be no more Shichida Math Mysteries left! Here’s hoping anyway… :wink:

I just love this forum!!! lol Last night I was looking at this too. Maddy thank you so much for the questions.

I started with Doman’s method with their flash cards, but my daughter seems to be bored by the dots now :frowning: so I was looking to see what we have in the LM library and came accross Agnes files (everything is ready! Love it! :yes: ). Now, I’m not sure if I should finish with Doman’s method and then do Shichida’s with Agnes files or if I could just start all over and do Shichida’s.

Any suggestions? :unsure:

Joha, did you know that anjie has uploaded the Doman curriculum? So you can download that to use with Little Reader if you prefer.

I haven’t tried the Shichida method, but some of our forum members rated Doman math higher than Shichida, so I decided to stick with what I know.

“Know” also because I’ve read the book - whereas with Shichida, the information is top secret!

From what I can tell, Shichida math moves faster and as a result the schedule is more rigid: you CANNOT miss a day; otherwise, you have to start all over from the beginning.

I couldn’t handle that, because there are always going to be days when I can’t teach (particularly at the weekend). Doman doesn’t say you have to start over -just that you should do your best.

After all, there would be days when your child might not be in the mood for teaching, and that wouldn’t mean you would have to start over.

So what does Shichida recommend if your child isn’t in the mood one day? Particularly if you have invested a lot of time in the program and don’t want to start all over?? Hmm, I wonder…

Can anyone answer my questions on Shichida math (see original post)? :wink:

maddy,

I hadn’t seen this post. Thank you so much for the info. I had actually downloaded her files and I have been using them for the equations part. I had to split each day in three sessions in order to keep me daughter’s attention. We tried again Doman’s FC and she has been doing good be them. It looks she only needed a break.

I’m sorry I don’t know the answer to your questions, but wanted to thank you! :slight_smile:

Joha, I don’t think I helped very much, but anyway, you’re welcome! :slight_smile:

Keep up the great progress! Valerie is adorable btw.

Maddy