Classical music

Has any one tried teaching Indian classical music? It is said very soothing to our brain.

Indian classical music? I want to hear more!

The book the Secret Life of Plants cited some very interesting studies, where plants thrived dramatically better with Indian Classical Music, whereas hard metal rock killed them. There is something there, but I don’t know of any studies particularly with human beings.

Hi,
I play Indian Classical music esp vocal classical music to my 16 month old daughter. I have been doing this since her birth. Earlier I used to play it whenever she was awake. Now that she moves around a lot, I play it when she’s busy with something and sitting in one place and also during her sleep time.

I think playing classical music has had a very positive effect on my daughter. I dont know if its becoz of classical music but she’s never given me sleepless nights…right from start! And she’s never been cranky. Now that she’s started talking, she even tries to chant some prayers and mantras.

Overall I think Indian Classical Music is the best thing u can give yr child!

Indian Classical Music is one of the great music traditions of the world, rivaling Bach in its complexity and spiritual roots. Unfortunately, according to Ravi Shankar, it takes about 20 years to be considered a real musician in that tradition, and as far as I know, it is still master to student transmission.

Sitar Wizard is not on our horizon yet, though I love the name!

Good luck with your daughter, sounds like she will grow up with a great music tradition.

Thanks

Chris

Could you recommend a concrete album or performer of Indian Classical music?

Gyöngyi

I would suggest getting the program Pandora on the , Mac, PC or Iphone, and typing in Ravi Shankar to start. It will play music “like” him, and you can give that music a thumbs up, you can bookmark the artists or songs, and then create new internet radio stations around those, and so you would use Ravi Shankar as a “seed” musician, and then follow your own tastes and path as you discover new musicians, bands and styles through the program.

He is the most famous in the Western world, and an acknowledged master, but there is an ocean of other talent there available to discover.

Good luck!

Thanks

Chris

Thank you, Chris.
Gyöngyi