Chinese and Japanese

Can anyone recommend any Chinese/Japanese courses? We have (and LOVE) Little Pim and the Wink to learn DVDs, but I’ve got no idea what else to look at!

I’m in two minds about LR Chinese, since LR is great, but it is just teaching single words for the most part and if I get it I can’t really afford anything else. As I don’t speak Chinese, I’d really like to have something that will encourage sentences and conversation, rather than just lots of single words. So far the Muzzy clips we’ve watched haven’t really captured my son’s attention (he’s too used to Pim having videos of children, I think!) so I am wary about ordering that as it is also very expensive.

The same is true about Japanese. Except I don’t like the Pim so much, as it transliterates (why?!) rather than using the proper words.

Does anyone have any really great immersion-style dvds for either language? Also, I’m looking for textbooks that I can use as we start doing more written language (probably not for 12m or so) which I’d like to get asap to give me time to learn the material myself before teaching it. I am sure Nicholas will soon surpass me, but I can at least try to keep up!

Thanks!