http://kids.nypl.org/reading/Childrensebooks.cfm

Happy Reading!
Ayesha

Thanks, Ayesha! :slight_smile:

btw, any particular one you find good?

Dear KL & All,

I had previously posted:

Children’s Books Online : The Rosetta Project
This children’s online library is a volunteer-driven project featuring scanned historical children’s books. Many are translated into several languages.

International Children’s Digital Library
The goal of ICDL is to create a digital library of more than 10,000 books in at least 100 languages that is freely available to children, teachers, librarians, parents, and scholars throughout the world via the Internet.

And was delighted to find additional sources. I most recently looked through Clifford the Big Red Dog site, because I am searching for simple books to breakdown into the steps for the Doman method via LR/.ppt for my girls, much like the Doman Reading Kit is done with Enough, Inigo, Enough!

I had this misinterpretation that the steps described in the Doman method were used verbatim in the book that you create. And in analyzing the words in each step in the Kit, I realized that all the individual words were in the book, but not necessarily all of the words from the book were in step 1. And the words in Step 1 were combined to create Step 2 Couplets that do not appear verbatim in the text of the book, and the same with Steps 3 and 4. So, I will find simple books, and break it down by words and mix/match to form couplets/phrases/sentences so they become familiar with how words used together create different meanings, and based on context. I hope that makes sense.

I will also try to create couplets/phrases/sentences/books with the YBCR words and see what I can come up with. What did you use with Felicity?

Thanks.
Ayesha

• Ayesha

Thanks for the link!

I have had similar issues trying to get my daughter to read couplets and phrases. I did actually teach all the words singularly however (she does have cards saying “a” and “the” but this was so that I could show her phrases with the cards she already knew without having to make long phrase cards) I also have taken her slightly faster than Doman recommends onto sentences (she barely did any couplets) purely because it held her interest more to see a story. I did try to keep the sentences very short at first (3 word sentences) and also used a fair amount of repetition in early stories.

I used the ladybird book 1 initial set of keywords (there are 12 keywords in the first book) to start forming early sentences with the words she already knew - this gave me a good base for early sentences (here is a ______; the ______ is _______) and so on where I could fill in any of her words in the spaces. She has since also done the keywords for ladybird book 2 and this makes my life much easier when trying to write short stories for her.

Good luck with forming all your sentences and stories.