Cheaper EK Bit cards

Hey Guys!
I was at a local teacher store and I found these reading comprehension cards.
http://www.highsmith.com/edupress/Reading-Comprehension-Science-Cards-Ocean-Life-c_24069744/
It comes with 32 cards with a beautiful picture on the front, and I write up on the back of the card with facts and questions. There a good size for young children(6x8). So I bought Ocean Life and Insects and have been using them as EK bit cards as 32 for $11 is much more affordable for me then 10 for $20 plus crazy shipping(though I still LOVE Doman bits).
Just thought I’d share that so far this is working for us :slight_smile:

They look good. Are they a certain brand?

The brand on the pack says Edupress. I bought them at a store called Scholar’s Choice. But is seems you can order them direct from the supplier in the above link.

I was just wondering so I could look for them cheaper. I’m a bargain hunter, ya know? lol

LOL yeah I’m not sure if there is another cheaper brand but if you see one let me know :slight_smile:

nhockaday did you find them cheaper some where else?
thanks for the link

No. This thread was from a long time ago though. maybe they can be found somewhere now.

Back when Henry was about 12 mos old I was looking at a zillion different flashcards to buy (this was long before I learned about Doman) and we did get quite a few. If you’re looking for educational flashcards, there are a lot out there like this. Just search, as I’m sure you all know how. They’re frequently not that expensive. I got quite a few at Target for $1 per pack.

If somebody wanted to make a killing (feel free to steal this idea), they would make a giant set of really really cheap flashcards, as follows.

(1) Make a great set of topics. Cover everything. Go beyond what is ordinarily covered, but include that too. Plan to have a few thousand flashcards.

(2) Make the cards very large, but on very cheap cardstock. Keep printing costs down.

(3) Get the pictures free wherever possible. There are a zillion free pictures now on Flickr and other sources.

(4) Make very sure that you have so-simple-toddlers-can-understand captions to read on the back. Put the name of the item itself at the top of the card on the picture itself, and the simplest sentence at the bottom of the card itself. Other sentences (but nothing too complicated) should go on the back in large print for ease of reading. Remember to make the sentences nicely describe the picture itself, so parents can read words and then point to the features in the picture that the words correspond to; don’t make the sentences generic.

(5) Sell on the Internet, make sure you’re on Amazon.

(6) By not hiring any assistants, using free pictures, doing whatever you can to keep the printing costs down, and not bothering with any expensive packaging, I’ll bet you can sell thousands of these things for the price that a place like the Doman Institutes charges for 100…

The reason to do this is not to get rich, although you might do that, but to change the game—to create a new sort of product, not yet in the marketplace, which has the potential to radically transform education for the better. In other words, you’re doing it for the children. :wink:

If anyone wants to do this, I would be happy to partner with her or him and continue to offer advice.

Some of this have been done in Peru. I bought various categories for my grandson and he paid a lot of attention. They even have to text on the back (in spanish) and where of a very good quality.