Changing the Structure of the Brain through Language and Music

So, I’ve read over and over that the brain of the multilingual child is actually formed differently than the brain of the single language child.

I wonder …
Since, I believe music to be another language … does exposing a single language child to music result in similar changes in the brain, as the multilingual child?

Also, I wonder …
Is the change in the multilingual brain coming from the ‘doubled’ vocabulary in the formative years and the result of the brain adapting to more words? Based on my informal observations and experiences, I think that most children are exposed to a ‘set’ vocabulary with their parents during the crucial first 2000 days (0-5 ish). If these parents used synonyms for just about everything from the very beginning, in essence, ‘doubling’ their vocabulary, do you think this would result in a similar brain formation as the multilingual child? one of the benefits of reading is exposing a child to vocabulary that they may not hear in their more intimate circles … so, i suppose this would be another bonus for teaching your child to read asap, or at the minimum, reading to/with your child consistently :wink:

anyway, just wondering what you think of this brain change and how it relates to the change from exposure to music and/or an increased vocabulary :slight_smile:

I don’t know much about this topic but I just want to say to keep in mind that different languages don’t only have different words, these words also have different sounds, speach patterns, sayings and each language will have synonyms. I know that english is a language with more spoken words than any other language, but it will be very hard to use so many words with your child to compare it to another language. Also, a large part of musical ability develops in it’s own area of the brain.

What I would like to know is this: shure a biligual child or musical child (or even both - the lucky bugger) will have a different mind structure than the norm, and so will a child being educated in any other way, I think rais a child different and his mind will be different. But does this different now mean better?? In what way?? How will this different brain benefit the child or the population as a hole? Yes, learning specific skills can aid him in many ways, but having a different mind on it’s own is like having a different hair colour, just harder to get :yes:

Personnaly, I’m teaching my baby to read for the benefit of being able to read well. I’m teaching 3 languages for the benefit of being able to easily comunicate with more people, and having the ability to expanding and aquire new languages easily later in life. I will be teaching music for the pure joy of it. My little guy is an average little guy and I truly believe he’ll stay average in areas that I’m not focussing on, but I’m doing my best to teach him skills that will hopefully make life easier and more enjoyable for him.

i think that’s the whole point right there! and it’s important to keep that in mind. at least for us. my hope is that by using the brain more, it becomes more efficient, so ‘things’ become more easily understood/internalized/processed, thus allowing communication/self-expression and deeper understanding of one another, ourselves, our planet/universe, and (the beauty of) how we/it is all intertwined to prevail. by raising them to be problem solvers, understanding order, and appreciating the beauty of how it all comes together, even ‘chaos’, the goal will be that they will leave the planet having made it better (to whatever degree). ‘better’ would be defined/expressed/experienced by us in a variety of ways. personally, i hope to teach my kids to recognize, seek, create, and maintain (to name a few verbs lol) the awe and beauty of this experience we call ‘life on earth’ and to pursue it in whatever suits their spirit best - whether it be through race car driving, skydiving, math formulas, composing music for films, caring for the sick, maintaining a happy home … whatever they discover gives them drive, pride, a sense of accomplishment and purpose.

early learning for us is a means of ensuring that we can instill an internal love/curiosity of life and get as much of our beliefs on ‘all of the above’ in before time/maturity and outside influences take over :wink:

my reply is a be a bit off the thread subject, but i think it still applies. :slight_smile:

Yes and good point queriquita!

I’m saying music and laguage stimulation and training will not magically improve your child’s overall abilities. It would have been nice if there was something like that, but it’s a fairytale.

Interesting ponderings…I agree that more vocabulary will not do the same as another language as languages are different in many more ways that just using different words. I also often wonder if different brain structure necessarily means better. The brain will always be different depending on its use and experiences and is plastic into old age (of course not like a baby’s). Supposedly, I have read though, that when when neural connections are formed these pathways can be borrowed or adapted for other purposes. So I think your brain does change for the better knowing music and multiple languages, but maybe not to the degree that you might hope. On the other hand, cumulative enriching experiences: being loved, secure, physically active, being in a rich language environment, play, music, reading, and anything you can think of, I think added up will have a profound effect on a child’s brain.

Here is an interesting video about music, language and the brain:
http://www.youtube.com/v/2oMvtw4aeEY?version=3&hl=en_US

Interesting related articles.

“Music And Language Are Processed By The Same Brain Systems” http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/09/070927121101.htm

“First Evidence That Musical Training Affects Brain Development In Young Children” http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/09/060920093024.htm

i love it when science finally reaches/backs up intuition :wink: thanks so much for sharing!