Caught Ya at last! 12mo old Robert Reading Aloud

“Roberto Tornado”, as he is so aptly called is always on the move. He begun reading at 10-mos old and ever since, we tried and failed to capture him on video. He’s very much unlike his sister who would sit and obediently read a dozen words at an even earlier age. He would gesture and sound out words like "clap, cough, kick, shout, etc). Now at 12-months old, we’ve managed to film him reading! He reads some words aloud and gestures some. After a few words though, he’s on the move again and closed the laptop to put an end to our treat.

Thanks to LR Forum, happiest place for Moms (and Dads) in cyberplace.

PS: Forgive our laughter in the video, we were having so much fun trying to film him. :smiley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk68PUKUH98&feature=plcp

I love it!

He is so adorable. Well done Roberto tornado. Keep up the hard work.

aren’t boys so much fun!! Way to go Roberto!! And Mommy too! :biggrin:

Wow. Congrats :slight_smile: at what age did you start teaching him? I’m using doman style and little reader on my 9 month old baby. She also does not sit still. Any tips for this mom? :slight_smile:

well done! :slight_smile:

Your excitement was very clear! He is lovely! What a wonderful video to have for when he is all grown up! Clever boy. Congratulations.

I have been following along with Robert Tornado on your blog and saw your blog post with the video. Congratulations! Well done! Now for the exciting world to unfold for him and I look forward to reading more about his progression in the future

congratulations! you must be so proud.
what is you blog address?? will love to read it.

Thank you everyone! Reading your comments gives energy that I wouldn’t have otherwise :slight_smile:

@PokerDad
Thank you! I’m a fond follower of Cub too and is amazed at what you guys have accomplished!

@m_rogue23
Having mounted flashcards on the wall helped me teach Robert who wouldn’t keep still. I carry him around the house and show him flashcards as we walk. He looks forward to this and keeps his attention for much longer than just sitting on my lap for lessons.

@ evad3
I rarely update our blog now because of my hectic schedule but I’d be honored if people can get something from it :slight_smile:
www.cammielovestolearn.blogspot.com

I’m impressed! My 13-month old can only say “up” and “mama”, let alone read… Good job, Robert!

I am so impressed , you have proof it twice that babies can read.
sorry to bother you with questions but I really we like my baby to read
I been teaching him since he was 8 month with little reader but I havent seen any results.
can you please share robert reading scheduled with us???
how many times a day you show him the words ??
how many times you show him little reader??

Thank you!

First of all, don’t ever be discouraged if LO isn’t reading yet. Since my daughter read earlier (9 mos), I was expecting Robert to read at that age too even though I paid much less attention to him because of my schedule. When he didn’t, I begun to feel guilty - but refocused on the input, rather than output. If before he just looks at the cards with interest, soon enough there’s a spark of recognition, then excitement, and then surprisingly, he wouldn’t want to end our reading lessons. I didn’t “test” him for the whole two months. Doman is against testing! I waited until he’s ready to show me and he did! :slight_smile:

We have no exact schedule but he is immersed in language. Flashcards are mounted on the wall, furniture are labeled, I talk to him all the time, educational videos are playing every hour, and there’s his 4yo big sister playing/teaching with him. I show little reader about two times (curriculum lessons) and in many different categories. I have about 5 different home-made categories that I show him every day. I carry him to show flashcards ON the wall. I put some very high-up and would ask him to reach for it. He enjoys this physical challenge.

Now at 13-month old, I think he’s beginning to figure out phonics. He knows that “b” makes the sound “buh” and so with some other letters. When I showed him “banana” and a new word “brake”, he started sounding out “buh” and tried to sound out the remaining letters. And he’s suddenly VERY interested in pattern phonics of LR. Before, he quickly turns his head away. I’m excited about this and will do more experiments of showing him new words and having him guess how to pronounce them. :smiley:

He labels everything! Whatever he touches, he says it’s name. Even words with consonant blends like “tractor” he can now read and say clearly. He would watch our mouth move and try to imitate speech. I exaggerate when I speak to him so he’s drawn to the movement of my lips.

That is really amazing! Congratulations!! :biggrin: Robert and his sister are blessed to have a Mamma that loves them so much and spends so much time with them teaching them:-)

i’m so proud of you and your family’s accomplishments with el! you are such wonderful inspirations - thank you for sharing :smiley: way to go, senor tornado! :wink:

He is so cute. That’s awesome!