Can someone tell me the difference between these ASL signs?

funny/mouse
wish/hungry

There are more, but my mind is blanking right now.

Mouse is gestured with the whole arm, and funny with just the finger bending at the knunkle.

Wish and hungry are the same sign. There is no ASL word for wish. I hunger for world peace and I wish for world peace meant the same thing when ASL was first created, although do not quite mean the same thing anymore. Most people wish with less intensity than they hunger with.

ASLpro (http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi) has a video sign dictionary. I find videos tend to be more helpful in discerning differences between similar signs.

nice(a friendly person)/clean

Yeah I always wondered about nice and clean. They are the same exact sign.

Gentle/pet After seeing how my 8 month old “pets”(translated slaps) the cat, I can see where they may be the same sign.

I’ve seen 2 signs for gentle one is open palms facing you circling each other.

I really like the ASL dictionary by My Smart Hands hosted on YouTube. Here is a link to their channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/SmartHandsCA#g/u You can make your own customized play lists on YouTube and include the signs you need to practice. I also really like how she explains each sign and gives you the chance to practice.

My Smart Hands also have an iPhone app which I find very useful when I need to know a sign quickly!

I’ll have to check that one out. I have an iPhone app called “4800 ASL signs” or something like that, it cost $2.99. It’s pretty nice, for when we’re on the go and I want to know a sign. There are also songs on YouTube that have been helpful to learn new vocabulary and it’s a lot more fun than rote memorization.

The “WeSign” series uses sign to “sing” nursery rhymes, Christmas songs, and kids songs. I thought that was useful to pick up some signs and the host explains how some signs are used (example: Jack and Jill–>changing “Jack broke his crown” to “Jack hit head” which is closer to the intended meaning.) From this I learned how to sign “Twinkle Twinkle little star” when baby is watching YCBR. (although they have some verses I’ve never heard!)

dry/cereal
black/summer

cabbage & lettuce–same sign?

Haha, I was thinking the same thing when I heard the second verse! Did you know there is another verse beyond what we all commonly know in the Incy Winsey Spider? Who knew!

dry/cereal
black/summer

cabbage & lettuce–same sign? They look the same to me.

New verse:
The itsy-bitsy spider
Stuck out two spinnerets
Out came a web
made-up of tiny threads
Along came the wind
That blew so far away
Where the itsy-bitsy spider found
A brand new place to play!

(I had to look it up!)

Does anyone know how to sign light/dark when referring to intensity of color (dark blue or dark red) as opposed to quantity of light.