Can i teach math and reading at same time?

Hi i was just wondering if you teach math and reading at the same time and if so how many lessons of each should you do a day so that the child doesnt get bored?
Thanks

Hi Rose08,

Before I do 3x/day for Math and I used the physical flash card (red dots). But it bores my toddler. So what I did now, I bought LM and he likes it very much. I do 1 session only and he’s not bored anymore. After doing the math session, I go on with the reading lesson using LR right away and again 1 session/day also. And the rest is free play.
I work. I only have night time to do the lessons with my toddler. But during weekends, I do 3 sessions for Math and Reading.

Thanks jemjem,
I have just been doing reading lessons 3x a day depending on my 11mths mood as she hasnt been sleeping well lately and has a molar coming through which is painful :frowning:
I will start her on maths also 3x a day. It is easy for me as i am stay at home mum. How have u found LR and LM? Has your son learned anything? When is a good time to test them? eg how long after you start? :slight_smile:
Sorry about all the questions, still very new at this.

Have you seen these threads? http://forum.brillkids.com/general-discussion-b5/for-those-that-do-both-reading-and-math/

http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-to-read/should-begin-with-read-first-or-both-math-and-read/

They are about the same thing. I started with reading, as I think it is the most important. I did show my son quantity dot cards on the computer for a while, but he got bored with them. Now we use LM every day, and he loves it! The ability to change the icons to interesting pictures really works wonders. Reading is still our focus, but you can definitely fit both in easily, especially if you use LR/LM.

I started to teach my son how to read first since he is bored with dots. But when LM came, I started to teach him Math again. Now I do both.
I don’t have rules on how many lessons per day my son has to take. As long as he is attentive then I continue. Sometimes we don’t have a lesson at all. It all depends on his mood.

So it sounds like little math will be a good investment then :slight_smile:
Thanks everyone

I think I may get the Little Math software too once I get my reading program more consistent.

Hi…Talking about the Little Reader and Little Math… I have not purchased the program yet…Can somebody tell /advise me…is it easy to use??? I am consider a “dumbo” when comes to computer…I am worried that when I have this program, I will be stuck at it…Please advise…
:wub: :wub: :wub:

We have video tutorials and an extensive help manual that explains everything. And if you still have more questions, you can ask them on the forum.

Hi There,

I teach both reading and math to my 21 month old son. I started with reading early this year and after it was fairly stable, I added in the math last month. My son was also quickly bored with the dot cards so I acquired LM. While it makes my life A LOT easier, I’m not sure that my son is really into the math lately. Thankfully LM allows for different icons (balls, ducks, etc) so that keeps him more interested. It’s a bit of two steps forward, one step back sometimes with either program. I’m confident that we’re making progress each week - sometimes by faith alone, but that’s ok!

I do 3 sessions per day and incorporate both math and reading into the same session. It’s a bit too much for me to do 6 sessions consistently.