Breastfeeding moms, when to start.

How long does it take to your baby to experience his first breast suction after birth. I mean how many hours of life was he and not how long was he trying to feed.
If the answer is more than 3 hours after birth, please mention how many hours or days and explain why (hospital polici to give formula, separate cause of medical issue etc).
In other answers you can also comment if there was something special about the initiation of the breastfeeding process.

Indicate type of birth:
vaginal laying down wtih epidural or other
vaginal laying down with epidural
vaginal vertical not in water
in water
caesarea.

Am i the only one that is trying to enter POLLs and has terrible results?
I mean my question and options had nothing to do with the color of the eyes.

Please the question is:
How long after birth did you baby start breastfeeding or intention

Posible answers:

1. Start 30 minutes after birth
  2. between 30 to 60 minutes after birth
  3. from 1 to 2 hours after birth
  4. from 2 to 3 hours after birth
  5. after 3 hours of birth

Coose one option and complement with type of birth:
vaginal laying down wtih epidural or other
vaginal laying down with epidural
vaginal vertical not in water
in water
caesarea.

Please go to :

http://forum.parentweb.com/index.php?topic=10994.0

to enter your vote. You will see it ok there but not on brillkids.

I had skin to skin contact within 5 minutes of birth and tried to breastfeed then, but my babyboy seemed content to just rest on my chest and not feed. He lifted his head a few times to look at me and then I had to birth the placenta and do a few other birth things so my partner held him for about 30 minutes. Then babyboy was back on my chest and we had a very successful breastfeeding session that lasted about an hour.

Babyboy’s birth was vaginal, natural (no drugs in site, not even a tylenol), on hands and knees (not in water).

My first, I tried within minutes of birth. But didn’t get a successful latch until day 3. I never supplemented with formula, baby lost too much weight at first, but we did eventually get it (after hiring a lactation consultant for a home visit). Birth was on a bed, reclining, no epidural (by choice, most of the pushing was done in a vertical, squatting position).

My second, was born in a vertical position, no epidural, in a car moving 70 miles an hour lol . I can’t remember how long, or even where my first breastfeeding attempt was, but I’m confident it was within the first 30 minutes. She never had any troubles.

Thanka to both of you for sharing your experienc. My daughter is expecting her baby girl for next week and It certainly gives her more security on trying not to go for epidural, at least at first. She told me and her husband to try to disuade her if she asks for it unless we see her ‘suffering’ to much.
Maquenzie, wow…¡¡¡ can not imagine giving birth in the car.

For now my daughter is looking for a clinic in our place where vertical birth assistance is given. And also is getting ready to insist on having the baby with he inmediately over her so that she will try to get some milk or at least listen to her heartbeat.
At my time we did not have all that information and i only knew that my fountain was broken and i had to go to the clinic and be in the hands of the doctor. Obviously they took my baby to the ‘babies room’ and his father and family had to wait for ‘showing’ time to see him through a glass window. Non of the benefits of having the baby with you were known.
Thanks for participating in this poll.

1. Cesarean. 2.5 hours. Happy breastfeeding until 2 years.
  2. Cesarean. 5 hours (I was too weak). Still breastfeeding (12 months).

My experience with both girls:

• vaginal laying down with epidural
  • first nursing within minutes of birth

Hope that helps!

My first baby was born in USA - Caesaren (planned, because of assumption of too big baby), I had the baby for few minutes after birth but tehn the baby was given to try breastfeeding to me 4 hours after birth. I week after birth I got breast infection so I could not breasteed. I pumped my milk a gave it to the baby with a bottle for about 2 weeks. After then everything was OK and I happily breastfed until her 3 years of age.
My second baby was born in Czech republik, vaginal birth laying down without epidural or any other help. I asked to have a baby immediately after birth (not cleaned yet), so we had skin to skin contact and time for bonding within seconds. Then they examined the baby and examined me (because of previous C-section) and gave the baby to my within about 30 minutes (dad was holding the baby in meantime). Then my baby was nursing for about an hour. Then I asked to have my baby in the room with me (I gave a birth at 6:20 pm) overnight (which is not usual in our hospital) but they let me if I insisted.
I am very happy mainly with my second bitthing experience. :slight_smile:

First Birth – in water squatting, nursed at 1 minute for about 15 minutes with small breaks to look up at me and daddy, then we cut the cord and she had another nurse in bed in another 20 minutes.

Second Birth – in water hands and knees, nursed within first 30 minutes, then again in about an hour, but he was more content just laying on my chest and looking at us :smiley:

Thanks to all for sharing your experience.
My daughter gave birth yesterday and it was like sarahjean:
vaginal with epidural after many hours of contractions (synonymous of pain)
and breastfeeding trying within the first 30 minutes.
Thanks again.

I had an emergency c-section so I had to wait a little less than 1 hour to hold my son for the first time. He did latch on almost immediately and six months later it is still his first choice. The physical recovery from the c-section was diffcult for me so I did attempt to give him formula from time to time but he soon recognized the difference and began refusing all bottles even the ones with pumped breastmilk.

My first child was only the next day (I think about 14 hours after the birth) - she had to be in ICU because I was diabetic and her sugars went low so she was given a glucose drip as well as formula. Breastfeeding was very hard and I called a consultant in the end as she was battling to latch and was jaundiced. We did however breastfeed successfully for 26 months in the end so it can be done. She was an induced vaginal birth with ventouse.

My second child was I think more than a full day as I had an emergency C-section and she was in ICU 4 days with the same sugar issues. Despite being both syringe and bottle fed with formula and having a nasal tube she took to breastfeeding happily and actually preferred it to the bottle (even the nurses were surprised) She is only a month old now so will wait and see what happens but she is still happily breastfeeding.

Squatting birth - no drugs

He was literally trying to get onto my breast before I had lifted him up to it latched on straight away and went for it kept that up until he self weaned at 2.5

We had a vaginal birth with epidural. He was placed on my chest immediately for a little while before they cleaned him off. I had some slight problems after the birth, so I think it was 1-2 hours before we tried to nurse. The first month or so we supplemented an ounce or two of formula every few days. Then I bought a pump and was able to increase my milk production. He is now exclusively breast feed and thriving.

I did not expect to see that there are some who eally breastfeed almost for two years or some more. It is amazing.¡¡ My daughter is convinced of the benefits of breastfeeding and her life so far has change so much that as my husband says, she is dedicaated totally to her baby and brestfeed her all she can. When she mention a doctor her intention to continue breastfeding for 2 yeras he (not pediatrician but dermatologist) thought it was to much. In the old times ther were not many facilities for pumping milk so when I gave birth normally my children breastfeed during the first month and since i had to work it was very uncomfortable and not an option to take milk so little by little it dried.

I will mention all the experience you share and am sure this will give her more confidence in that brestfeeding for more that a year o maybe two is an option.

Thanks to all. An happy milk production for you that still have babies.

I had a vaginal birth with epidural anesthesia and they put Ella to my breast as soon as the cord was cut. She nursed for about 15-20 minutes then they took her to a small table in my room to be cleaned and weighed. After a little while, they brought her to the nursery for a full medical exam. She was away from me for about 2 hours or so and those were the LONGEST 2 hours of my life! Then, she was back with me for the rest of my (short) hospital stay.

I had planned on breastfeeding for 1 year - I had my pump ready, had prepared a private place at work for pumping, and had discussed this with my colleagues at work. What I did not expect was the difficulty I had in producing milk. My milk came in late and, during her first week, Ella lost more than the expected 10% of her birth weight and so I had to supplement with formula while I tried to increase my milk production. During my maternity leave, I was pumping/nursing every 2-3 hours round the clock. I also took fenugreek capsules and drank tons of water. All of these helped and I was able to cut out the formula after a month or two. During Ella’s first year, my trusty Medela breastpump and I were inseparable! lol I took it to work, to medical conferences, to vacations, etc. etc. I finally stopped pumping when Ella turned 1. The day that I packed up my breastpump was one of the happiest and most liberating days of my life! lol :yes: I thought at that time that since I had so much difficulty starting breastfeeding that I did not want to give it up too easily. So I continued breastfeeding and both Ella and I really love the special bond and closeness that we enjoyed when she is nursing. It was also a great way to reconnect with her after a whole day spent at work away from her. For my own sanity, I did wean her off night-nursing after she turned 1. :biggrin:

She is now 2 years 8 months and showing no signs of self-weaning. The only times she nurses now are when she wakes up in the morning and right before going to bed. Contrary to popular misconceptions, breastfeeding her past infancy has not made her more dependent or clingy to me in any way. In fact, the very secure attachment she has with me has allowed her to develop into a confident outgoing self-assured little person. She has never been known to throw a temper tantrum and it is generally very easy to calm her down when she is upset or hurt.

As for weaning? I am thinking when she turns 3 years old in July, or when we seriously start planning for another baby. I have asked her when she wants to give up her beloved “nyah-nyahs” and she says, “when I gwow up.” lol So, we’ll see…

The first time you hold your newborn in the delivery room is a great time to start breastfeeding. At the beginning, your body will produce small amounts of a special milk called colostrum that will help protect your baby from infection. Your baby’s tummy is very tiny, so she only needs these small amounts to fill up. As her tummy grows, your milk will change and you’ll produce more of it.

Turn your baby’s whole body toward you, chest to chest. Touch her upper lip with your nipple, and, when she opens her mouth wide, pull her onto your breast, holding your breast for support. Her mouth should cover not just the nipple but as much of the areola (the darker part surrounding it) as possible.

I had given birth to a baby girl through vaginal delivery. I started her breastfeeding immediately after birth.

I had a c-section and was able to breastfeed my baby as soon as we got back to our hospital room. He nursed for about 20 minutes and it was beautiful way to bond with your newborn. It wasn’t easy at first (breastfeeding) but pump, pump, pump! Fenugreek, blessed thistle and brewer’s yeast are all excellent supplements to increase milk supply. Good luck :slight_smile: