Breastfeeding and Nipple Eczema! My Battle

Hi All, I’m new to the site and wanting to share my ongoing battle.

I am happily pregnant, YEAH ME!! I have a 6 yr old daughter, and at 22w I am expecting my son, I love saying that, My Son.
Well my battle started with my first pregnancy at around 20w, I developed mild eczema, on eyelids and on the fold of my arm. That wasn’t too bad, but then it started to appear on my areola and nipple. I saw my midwife and my GP and was prescribed so many creams and I was actually told it was Mastatitis. There was this type of liquid that would ooze from it, then it would dry and stick to my clothing, or bra.Then I’d try to remove my clothing and it would rip my skin on my breast and nipple resulting in me crying at least 4-5 times a day.
My Daughter arrived and it never got better, so I ended up only being able to feed on one side, it was real upsetting. I am very uneven now, but I didn’t want me and my daughter to lose out on the opportunity of Breastfeeding as Nature had intended.
I was told it might heal with breastfeeding but alas no luck, I even tried the old cabbage leaves trick, (old wives tale). It only healed after I stopped feeding my daughter when she was three. That was three years of pain.
Only… to return this time again in my second pregnancy. This time, earlier at 16 weeks. Well my heart just fell to the floor and my eyes filled with tears. Every symptom I had before was all back again. It was weeping with liquid, drying and sticking to my clothes, dead skin was forming around it. So I went back to my Midwife again and told her of the problem. Well because it had been so long since my daughter was born, she had forgotten about my previous experience and I had to go through it all again, its embarrassing, lifting my top up, feeling the rip, getting swabs done. Only to be sent to the GP to do it all again and prescribed all the same creams again. This time I was told “OH NO its not MASTATITIS” its a YEAST INFECTION of the nipple area. What crap!!
Well I tried all of the creams they gave me only to cry everyday especially with the thought of feeding on one side again. I tried honey on it, and vaseline, to keep it moist but not heal the problem, um baby powder to keep it dry so it wouldnt stick again.
Well I came to my own conclusions. I never noticed that all the eczema came at the same time as this problem started on my nipples. so I used the same cream that my dad was using for his eczema on his leg “LOCOID”. I had tried everything else. And what do you know IT WORKED. It has only been 2 days and its still pink and sensitive, as its lost its top layer of skin, But the oozing stuff has gone, I see new skin growing, But most of all My Son wont miss the opportunity of being breatfed, and being a boy Ill be ready for his big appetite. LOL. So I’m keeping my fingers cross, I want to jump up and down with the joy I’m feeling, (being careful LOL).

So if there is anyone out there that can reflect, please I’d love to hear from you. I ultimately hope I can help anyone else out there that has ever experienced this, or anything really with their pregnancy. As a woman I feel these are the experiences we are given, and I don’t want to miss out on anything.

Shazz,

Oh my goodness you are a brave lady!!

I had a severely cracked nipple with my son for the first two and a half months and that damn near killed me. Similar to you it would ooze and then stick to my clothes inevitably ripping open again. I ended up with mastatitis in that breast and couldn’t feed from it.

i ended up expressing from that breast and using the milk to heal the wounds which in the end cured both issues.

I cannot imagine what it must have been like to put up with it to the extent and for the length of time that you did.

I am so pleased for you that you have found a solution - how very sad that you had to find it yourself with no help from the people who should have been able to guide you.

Best of luck with your SON I hope all goes well and you can enjoy the experience of breast feeding this time.

I’m so sorry. I can’t imagine the pain, both physically and emotionally you must have gone through. The only thing I recommend is that you check that the meds you are using are safe to use while pregnant and breastfeeding. They might not have prescribed it because it might not be tested for pregnancy or breastfeeding, or it might not be safe. Please do your research just to make sure.

You may be in luck - I developed EXACTLY the same symptoms as you.

It turned out that I had both thrush (which you had said was nonsense) but due to all the wetness of the nipples, and oozing and leaking it was true AND terribly cracked nipples from the breastfeeding which led to them oozing, and bleeding and then mucus sticking to my clothes etc.

I used two creams - the one was a MIRACLE cream for the oozing and bleeding etc, and actually cleared up my symptoms in two days! and the second was for the thrush. I know it seems impossible, but it really worked. When a friend of mine told me about the cream I thought it impossible but within 2 days I was right as rain. The thrush continued for a while, so I used the thrush cream for a bit.

Please note that the miracle cream does have cortisone in it, and some moms are averse to using that when they breastfeed. But if you just wipe it off your nipples, nothing is actually getting transferred to your baby - AND it enables you to continue to breastfeed!!! and I only used it for a few days!

I am going to ask my friend tonight the name of the creams, and Ill write to you in the morning. I think you will have to research their names on the internet for the name of the cream in your country.

Hi and thankyou all for your posts.

What I meant by my situation was, it wasn’t thrush, it was eczema.
When a doctor tells you have something and to try the creams, you kinda do as your told, so in my case I went through 2 of their Diagnosis’s, the first Mastatitis, then thrush. I tried all the creams, which did not work, Until I reached my own conclusion of eczema. I feel for all women who have experienced this pain. It is upseting and I was already so emotional, it felt overwhelming at times.

I had the cream checked out that I finally used, it is hydrocortisone, and as I am not breastfeeding at present it is safe to use.(also safe for pregnancy).I only needed to use it for the one day, minimal is better I think.

I remember a few creams I did try when feeding 6 years ago, the safe to feed creams and the wipe away in case creams. I forgot to say I tried my own breast milk too, my mum actually told me that one, however it didnt work for the eczema but worked wonders for my daughters stye on her eye when she was 2yrs. When researched it says your own milk heals a million and one things. Nature is so beautiful.

For me I didnt even contemplate ezcema as I never thought you could get it there, but Im so glad I found out what it was finally. And when I punched it up on Google, Wow the information I found was awesome, scary though I read “Paget’s Disease of the Nipple”.(A type of Cancer). Symptoms of Pagets disease of the nipple are:

• redness of the nipple skin

• scaling and flaking of the nipple skin

• itching and irritation of the nipple skin

• sensitivity, burning and pain of the nipple skin

• discharge from the nipple

well this is the same symptoms I had, thank god it healed.

Its scary to think of, and alot of us dont know what to do or where to look for the answers. I hope to hear from anyone elses story, If we get it out there and discussed who knows who we can help. Will keep you posted on my healing process, :slight_smile:

Glad to hear something has helped - mosr excema creams are cortisone based so once your baby is born if you are still using it be sure to wipe it off before feeding your baby (baby’s musn’t suck that) however it should be safe as cortisone cream is often prescribed for cracked nipples. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

One brand of mld soap and lotion that will help eczema is called cetaphil. It is safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding because this is also the same brand pediatricians recommend for babies when they have a rash, acne or eczema. I am so impressed with how you went above and beyond the recommended age for breastfeeding and while you were in such pain. Your children are lucky to have such a caring, selfless and loving mother. I really wish you all the best.

I just wanted to extend my best wishes for you & your current/future nursing situation. Everyone thinks nursing comes so natural and easy, when in fact is was one of the HARDEST things I have ever done in my life! Truly. So I just really feel for you on the challenges, the physical pain, frustration, trips to the doctor, and so on.

I’m so glad you found a solution and I hope that’s the last of it!!

I am glad for you. Just one thing. Careful with esteroids cream. They help, but if you use to much, the eczema come back really bad. My son has eczema, the first time, worked so well. When I stop using, it came back so bad, I waited for a week and try it again. It was the worse thing I did about. His face get so bad, but so bad, I cry just on think about. I start with aveeno terapy, it is working but not very well. In 4 day I use all one tub of that. Now I will start with cetaphin. I was going to buy repcillin but I just decide to try cetaphil first. If some one now the way to eliminate the eczema without esteroids, PLEASE PM me.

I had nipple eczema with my 1st child, and now i am having it still with my 2nd child. Been to a paed and lactation consultant, and was prescribed steroid cream/ointment. Just like any other cases, i become dependent on the cream/ointment, and cannot skip a day not without it! I am breastfeeding, and i have no choice but to wash it off with Cetaphil before i feed my child, and i am doing this daily for the past 6 months :frowning:

Anyone has any suggestion what can i do? Will my child be ingesting the cream/ointment even though its been washed off and is it harmful to my child in long run? I tried to express milk and then feed him to minimize the skin contact but it doesn’t work as my child rejected bottle altogether. Have tried so many times, yet i failed…help. i really need help. What can i do???

Not quite understand, perhaps only of her own personal experience to be able to experience.

Hi Shazz thanks for your sharing story, glad that you found something that helps. I for one noticed that my skin has become more sensitive to things like perfumes and chemicals since becoming pregnant. Both my husband and myself have sensitive skin and due to his occupation as a tiler my husband has extreemly dry skin on his hands. We use some of Grahams Naturals products as they don’t contain any petroleum based products and they have been the best so far. The have creams and other products that may help to sooth eczema and other skin conditions. http://www.itchy.net.au/ The link if you want to have a look for yourself.