Boys and Reading: Is There Any Hope?

Interesting article. And I wonder if early readers will more influenced to read more or less in 10 years? And what subjects will they be interested in?

Boys and Reading: Is There Any Hope?
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/books/review/boys-and-reading-is-there-any-hope.html?_r=1

Ayesha,

Good article. Thank you for sharing it. Maybe boys need to see more men reading in order to inspire them to emulate the behavior. My husband reads science magazines and the newspapers but rarely books. Maybe I should get my husband to read books to my reluctant 8 yr old son. I do most of the reading with my children. Actually my son is fascinated by books (with interesting jackets) that are far beyond his reading and maturity level. He is a struggling reader so maybe he will be an avid reader when his skill level catches up to his interests. I can’t wait.

Karma, Lori

I think it’s an important topic. I’ve done plenty of book searches over the years and have bought shelves worth. Although my son is willing to read those books with us if we’re enthusiastic…, the only ones he picks up to read himself (so many times that the pages are all taped together) are 'toolbox twins, backhoes, bulldozers, and some construction books in Finnish). He has carried those books everywhere and slept beside them. Boys like to know about machines and tools, their parts, how they work. Real stuff, with important info, but written at a kid’s level. Unfortunately most kids books are overly simplified stories staring little animals. I think boys would love to read as much as girls if offered topics to their interest.