Books for 2-year-olds

If you have been reading/teaching your very young child to read, you have surely by now encountered the READING DILEMNA! The younger ones just are not quite ready to sit still for longer chapter books with few pictures, but are rarely encountering new and exciting words appropriate to their age group!
I am quite sure this is an ongoing problem for all of our kiddos at various ages…for example, many of my daughters books are geared at school-age kids and focus on things like school, teachers,and field-trips. I spend more time explaining than reading!
Anyway, tonight I received a large package of books from Amazon, always dangerous! And was so inspired that I though I would share a list of some of our favorites. We read for nearly 2 hours before drooping eyelids (mine!) put a halt to the fun. If anybody knows of anything similar, please share!

Our Favorite!
The Tickle Monster by Josie Bissett…love, love, love! Fantastic new vocabulary!
The Pout, Pout Fish by Deborah Diesen
Almost EVERYTHING by Karma Wilson, but favorites are:
Bear Feels Sick
Bear’s New Friend
Bear Wants More
Bear Snores On
Bear’s Loose Tooth
Bear Feels Scared
Hogwash!
The Cow Loves Cookies!
A Frog In The Bog

The Llama, Llama series by Anne Dewdney
Llama, Llama Home With Mama
Llama, Llama Mad at Mama
Llama, Llama Red Pajama
Etc…

TheDinosaur books by Claire Frredman…very facetious, but kiddo nowLOVES dinosaurs…
Dinosaurs Love Underpants
Aliens Love Underpants

More Karma Wilson books…
Where Is Home, Little Pip?
Don’t BeAfraid, Little Pip
What’s In the Egg, Little Pip?

Anna Milbourne books…
How Big is a Million?
How Big Was a Dinosaur?
How Deep is the Sea?
How High Is the Sky?

Almost anything and Everything written by Julia Donaldson!!!

Okay, so there it is! So very tired of trusting Amazons ‘lists’ for advanced readers! What are you reading with your toddlers?

Forgot to add all the Laura Numeroff/Felicia Bond books…
If You Give A Mouse A Cookie
If You Take A Mouse to the Movies
If You Take A Mouse to School
If You Give a Pig a Pancake
If You Give A Pig A Party
If You Give A Moose A Muffin
If You Give A Dog A Donut…

This is the hard copies ? em… or soft copies by computer ? I am looking the book for my little baby and such I found the pink A from the collins ! Do you know this ? how good is this type of book ?

I also written some notes on how to take care my little bao bao, if you interested please visit my blog : littlemommy2012.logspot.com :smiley:

We also LOVE all the Julia Donaldson books. However, lately I’ve found myself thinking that, while they are excellent for rhyme, my daughter is not learning new vocabulary from them.

Two books I have found excellent for introducing new vocab are ‘The Runaway Dinner’ and ‘Previously’ by Allan Ahlberg.

I’ve also just ordered ‘Croc and Bird’ by Alexis Deacon following a good review in the Sunday Times.

w is 2 in a few weeks time.

his most chosen books would include

some dogs do - jez alborough
m,most julia Donaldson nones… especially squash and squeeze , room on broom, and snail and whale
spot lift the flap books
Max and maya - axel scheffer
mitt I natten - swedish…I,m sure ntheres an English version
tag underwater adventure… the tag books are quite good … long vowels etc.
sharing day … from sight words level 1

pls excuse my sloppy typing!

Hi there. I started using the Little Reader yesterday with my 17 month old toddler (14 day trial). I’m a little apprehensive with this software and wanted to hear how it worked with your toddlers.

NJ be 18 months soon and I was just wondering if anyone can recommend any book(s) that was helpful for toddlers younger than 2.

Many thanks! :slight_smile:

With my 2.5 year old I started Sonlight P3/4 books - see www.sonlight.com - they are all good stories but start out very short and gradually increase in length. By the time she had finished these stories she was ready for longer picture books and also early chapter books. Her attention and concentration grew greatly over this period of time but I did need to read the books in the order given by the instructor’s guide because she was younger than their recommended age for the curriculum.

From 18 months to 2 years we used a lot of board books, lift the flap books and touchy-feely books as my DD was still so tactile. Bath books and cloth books also worked well even though we had been reading these since she was less than a year old.

My 13 month old is enjoying touchy feely books now too, but she needs very very short books to hold her attention - often we just hear the first few pages and then she is off!

Book names we liked:

Any of the Hairy MacClary books
Julia Donaldson
Mess Monsters and Mess Monsters in the garden
Harold and the Purple Crayon (and other versions of this)
If you give a mouse a cookie
Children’s Non-fiction books about animals and their babies (she wanted a lot of information on this - more than an average 2 year old)
Shortened versions of fairy stories (We read the Ladybird Read-it-yourself to her at this age)
Each Peach pear plum (?)

Thanks Tanikit-
Yes, Alex is fascinated by science and math books as well! So much so that I actually have to convince her to read anything else…the list above are the majority of books she is willing to read ‘pretend’. She has to REALLY like them for them to be incorporated into reading time!
I also think that posting for two year old books was probably very misleading on my part, there I go again falling into the ‘by age’ trap!
She is also enamored by all things USborne at the moment…except for anything fairy tale related…not quite sure why.
We do read chapter (condensed) ones together, but Ishe won’t read these to me or on her own. For ‘together reading time’ she likes books that she can read a page to me, then it’s mommys turn to read a page…
Thanks for the recommendation on the Hairy McClary books…we are having a bit of success there.

Seastar- I ordered Croc and Bird as well after finding the review you mentioned, it looks great!
For a very cute book with some great vocabulary, take a look at this one, called The Tickle Monster. I just bought copies for all nephews and nieces as well!
http://www.amazon.com/Tickle-Monster-Josie-Bissett/dp/1932319670/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334292386&sr=1-3

Cheers, and love to hear any more recommendations for ages 2-6!

Have you tried fairy tales from a more traditional source? We have a set of really really really old original fairy tales with some fabulous use of language. try second hand bookstores or garage sales or nana! Please be sure to preread them, some original versions have questionable content.
Also try Fancy Nancy. Fabulous French words and extended vocabulary with meanings included. Very girly too. If she doesnt like it now no doubt she will one day. :wink: