Book Suggestions?

I just started YBCR with my 21 month old daughter. I bought the set that includes the flash cards, flip book, and dvds. She is liking the dvd more, doesn’t always hold her attention, but she really likes the flash cards. We read a few times a day together just for fun. I would like to buy her books that have the words printed seperate from the pictures, as I have heard this is best. But I’m having a hard time finding any. I went to the used bookstore as well as Borders. Does anyone have suggestions of titles that you use? Thank you,

The first such book we bought was Glenn Doman/Gentle Revolution Press’s “Enough, Inigo, Enough!” book. You can probably buy it from them online:

http://www.gentlerevolution.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=G&Product_Code=0220&Category_Code=B6

More books here:
http://www.gentlerevolution.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=G&Category_Code=B6

Hi Amanda,

Many of the Maisy books have the words written on one page and the picture on a separate page. They are made for young children and are just cute stories with nice pictures. I would fold the page so my child could only see the words, then we would flip it to see the picture. There are quite a lot of Maisy books available. You can even check at your library first.

The books by Glenn Doman are just a story about a boy’s life. You can make your own for your child and they will probably like it better. It would read like this:

My name is _________.
I am ________ years old.
I live in _________.
I have (sisters, brothers, a dog, etc…)

Just talk about things your child likes.
You can use a photo album or page protectors with a binder to make your book. Just get some pictures together of your child and write a simple story around it. I bet your child will love it.

I see many readers series for little kids here.
not sure if useful. Maybe others have bought books from here can comment
http://mylearningkid.com/EStore/catalog/

I have Ladybird peter and jane series which focuses on the 100 most frequent words, it helps on my kids but it’s a bit boring. :clown:

But if you limit yourself to books in one specific format, you’re really cutting yourself off from most of the best kid’s books.

What Titzer himself recommends may help: as you read, run your finger under the text. I am convinced this helped my boy to read at an early age. I can see him looking at the words above my finger, and then at the pictures, then back at the words.

I have used both formats, though lately it’s more the ‘all-mixed-together’ type cos virtually all books are that way.

I run my finger along too, but I remember an earlier time when she would just look at the pictures and I would have cover the picture with my other hand! :rolleyes:

But nowadays I don’t bother, as I would insist we take turns to read, page by page (though sometimes if she doesn’t remind me it’s my turn to read, I just let her keep reading!) <[i]evil laugh> :laugh:

You definitely need to read all kinds of books together. When you first engage them in reading on their own, it is good to have books with the pictures and words separate. Teaching babies to read is give and take. You give by reading tons of books to your child and pointing out words in those books and then taking turns. There are some really cute books by Mary Anne Hoberman called “You Read to me, I’ll Read to You.” I am attaching a link. I love these books. :slight_smile:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_0_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=you+read+to+me+i'll+read+to+you&sprefix=you+read+t

I have used Little Reader to make my own stories (with words I have already taught my daughter, although occassionally I do add in a new word just to keep the story interesting) This seems to have helped a lot as just the other day Laurana was looking at a book and pointing at the words rather than the picture even though both were on the same page.

Hairy MaClary books have words on one page and pictures on the next - the vocabulary is fairly advanced for beginning readers I think but the rhyme is fun.

I found the Spot (Erin Hill) books the other day too and while pictures and words are on the same page, the text is VERY big which I quite liked. (Didn’t find the stories particularly appealing to me, but my daughter seems to like them nonetheless)

We also have the ladybird keywords books, but to be honest the ladybird read it yourself books which used to follow the same series have words and pictures on the same pages anyway.