Book Review - Many Moons

I recently had the opportunity to read the book Many Moons. I think it was published back in 1943. I may have read it as a child; the story seemed familiar. It is my opinion that some of the best children’s books ever written were published before 1970. In my experience, when I read some really great children’s books, the copyright date tends to be for before the 1970’s.

I really enjoyed this story and would definitely read it again. I checked it out from the library and will keep an eye out for it in the future. It is a simple story about how children perceive things. Often times we adults think we know a child’s thoughts. This book gives parents a glimpse into the mind of a child.

The story is about a princess who is feeling ill. In order to feel better she asks her father, the king, to get her the moon. All of his advisors tell him all the reasons why this is impossible. The king cares for none of these reasons, all he wants is for his daughter to feel better. When the jester comes to console the king he comes up with an idea that even the wisest of the kings men couldn’t think of.

Although the story is old, it will still delight today’s child.

Read more about topics like this at my blog www.teachingbabytoread.com