Book review: Calmer Easier Happier Parenting: Descriptive Praise

Book review: Calmer Easier Happier Parenting: Descriptive Praise by Noel Janis-Norton

This is a free one-chapter e-book which comes from a more comprehensive book of the same title. The author says that this is the most important skill of her whole book and the best place to start. The approach is suitable for children from age 3 upwards, although i suspect many younger children may also benefit. I read it because I am finding that my 4-year old can be less than cooperative with many activities including EL and I wanted to find ways to positively motivate her, as well as to encourage a love of learning and find ways to encourage effort and a positive attitude towards trying new challenges. And to get back the fun and joy of learning together.

As a backdrop, I’ve been heavily influenced by books such as Mindset (which has been extensively discussed on the forum) and Punished by Rewards / the Perils of Praise. But for me I felt a bit stuck as to how to fully apply the principles in practice. And while I tried hard to praise effort over intrinsic ‘cleverness’ this it didn’t seem to be helping to motivate my highly sensitive, perfectionist, strong-minded daughter.

At first glance a book with the term “Praise” in its title sounds like the exact opposite of the other books, but having read it, I think there is a lot of congruence as all the books talk about specific praising rather than using non-specific superlatives such as “you are great!”

This book focussed on how to use specific descriptive praise to encourage positive behaviour and this could be applied to developing any valued skill such as independent self-care, politeness, cooperativeness, or self-directed learning.

In a nutshell, you should choose one or two behaviours that you wish to work on. Then you begin by specifically praising any small move that the child in that direction. You are supposed to avoid or minimise criticism or negative statements. For a challenging behaviour you may have to start by praising as often as 10 times an hour and gradually reduce over time. I have elected to work on cooperativeness with learning activities, and caring behaviour around the home (tone of voice, manners, kindness towards sibling etc). Some praise I used today was “you came upstairs the first time I asked you today, that showed a lot of cooperation” and “you practiced the piano today without once saying no, and you tried a piece for the first time with two hands and played it all the way to the end”. “You talked didn’t scream or hit your brother when you felt upset just now, really well done.”

Other areas we may start to include are showing grit / determination / perseverance, trying new challenges and being independent in many ways, including self-motivation in learning.

My worry was that continual praise might be detrimental or create a “praise junkie” who can only operate when being praised. Interestingly, the author says that it is actually the opposite - the children internalise the rules and become far more self-motivated. I have been trying this for only two days and I already see a marked difference! This is why I’m writing this review because I can see such a major change. When lost for words ive tried reminding my DD of a recent time that she behaved more positively in a similar situation and that really seems to help. She is already telling me proudly when her behaviour shows caring, or cooperation! In a way I feel like a terrible mum as I wish I’d been better at this before. I can’t help wondering if everyone else finds it easier and does this more naturally!

Anyway, the book is free so would be very interested to hear if anyone else finds the ideas useful. I’m fairly sure I’m going to buy the full book in the near future! There is also a book on homework which may also be helpful for afterschooling or homeschooling families.

here’s the link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B1SWVY8/ref=rdr_kindle_ext_tmb

I don’t think this is available currently in the US Amazon site - maybe try here instead: http://www.ebooks.com/1112320/calmer-easier-happier-parenting-descriptive-praise/janis-norton-no-l/

Thank you for posting this Izp11. How long have you been doing this? Our biggest hindrance in EL at our home was actually more on the self-management of my emotions. When I get ticked, a haul of negative words directed at my 4yo follows - how she is NOT focusing, how she’s making me angry, etc. I know it’s very counter-productive but still I seldom can control it. I used to hover over her watching for a mistake, correcting her immediately, and all the while reminding her about maintaining focus and persevering until the end. It was MISERABLE for both of us. To things that interests her, she gives it her all but to some things, she’s like a log that I have to continually push forward.

After reading up on positive pushing (much like the book you’ve shared), things turned around quickly. This has inspired me to talk to her more positively each day. But there is a pitfall on this method: she didn’t become a praise junkie but it seems that praising is not enough to inspire motivation and obedience anymore. At first it worked great for us, but I feel she needed a new kick to propel herself forward. It seems that all the hugs and kisses and being “persevering and hard-working” doesn’t thrill her anymore. Maybe I lack giving her physical rewards? I’m thinking joining competitions to would do the trick but I’m not sure. Any ideas? Thanks again!

I learnt abit about praise and the way to word it over the years, even in university! I discovered that I naturally praise in the ‘correct’ way. I naturally praise for effort rather than general or results orientated praise. Of course we do praise for results but always link that strait to the effort put in. For example my oldest was having some trouble remembering all 76 phonograms. They get a weekly test of 10 and she was scoring 7 or 8 each week. You all know 7/8 just isn’t good enough right? lol so we saw the teacher, got some flash cards printed, laminated ( I have 3 kids, they will be reused I am sure) and spent maybe 40 minutes over three days studying them. They did a big test this week. From all 76 phonograms she got 72 correct. The 4 she got wrong she couldn’t think of an answer for at all. The praise she got " wow Nat that’s awesome, you put in the extra effort needed and because of that you got the marks you wanted! That’s great, I am very proud of you " followed by " “oh isn’t mummy awesome helping you realise what you needed to do to get the grades " very tongue in cheek of course lol her reply? " thanks mum yes your awesome too!” lol
Anyway the point is after all these years of praising in this way (9 years!) my girl, and the others, have a great solid sense of self worth. They also have a clear understanding of effort equals reward ( which I think is more important) and don’t NEED constant praise to get the job done. They now get a gentle reminder that the results they want will come with effort. ( “practice will make you better” is a common phrase) then they usually get on with the task.
It doesn’t work all the time and JUST LIKE US sometimes kids need a further motivation. I use a variety of means from rewards charts, random treats for ( insert specific actions repeatedly noticed) bribes to just being nearby when they compete the task. Mostly though my kids are self motivated.
No parent is perfect. I need to remember to balance out the negative with the positive. i do forget, sometimes for days at a time. I still raise my voice at them, get frustrated swear and leave, or crack it :mad: at times, but I know that there is enough of the right type of praise and self esteem building that that isn’t going to do lasting damage to my children. They will and are growing up strong and self assured. Keep going!

nadia0801 THANK YOU for mentioning the self-management issue. This is something that I also struggle with but it’s not always easy to admit to this. :blush: This is the first step that I have taken that I think has paid off big time. Like you, I was finding that my patience was getting very short and that EL activities were becoming less and less enjoyable. Our relationship became a bit strained and I felt quite down as I did not want to give up on EL but wanted us to have a happy loving relationship at the same time. Six weeks ago I found the Orange Rhino blog and made a commitment of NO yelling at all.

For those who have not seen it, this very inspiring blog was written by a woman (The Orange Rhino - forget where the name comes from!) who decided to “Yell less and love more” over one year ago. She managed a whole year straight and it seems to have made a huge impact on her and her family. I found her blog incredibly honest and moving. She openly admits that she often feels angry, irritable, tired etc but has found ways to not yell even when this is the case. She also has a facebook page which I highly recommend.

Here is a link to one article on her blog about the benefits of not yelling: http://theorangerhino.com/10-things-i-learned-when-i-stopped-yelling-at-my-kids/

So, I committed to this and have almost completely not yelled for 6 weeks now. This has been the starting point of our journey of change and I think probably the most important part. It’s not just about the yelling - I did not yell every day - but for me it is also about being compassionate and empathic, and using consistently calm and clear communication with the kids rather than snappiness and irritability. I have a range of things I do instead of yell - ranging from walking away, to validation and empathy, to using descriptive praise (if I can). I also learned some great techniques on a process called “Collaborative Problem Solving” for kids who are somewhat inflexible and highly emotional, in a fantastic book which I recommend called The Explosive Child http://www.amazon.com/The-Explosive-Child-Understanding-Chronically/dp/0061906190/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1369739459&sr=8-1

I have seen a major change from this alone. After 6 weeks, my 4yo’s attitude is way better, we are closer, we laugh more, we hug more, we talk more and I go to bed feeling proud of myself rather than kicking myself for being grumpy yet again. I am not seeing my own negative attitudes and words reflected back at me but magnified x10!

As for the Descriptive Praise, I have only been doing this for 2 days!!! You are ahead of me lol
I do hope that this honeymoon period does not wear off too quickly but I can imagine it might. Just from reading your post, I have a couple of thoughts and possibilities:

Are you using descriptive praise rather than slipping into being too general? (e.g. saying, “I noticed that you completed that worksheet right to the very end today and I didn’t have to ask you to keep going even once, that shows a lot of perseverance” rather than simply “you are really hard-working today”).

I find that tone of voice makes a big difference. In fact, being overly enthusiastic and positive actually seems to switch my daughter off. I think she can already sense that it’s a bit over the top and she does not take it seriously. So I’ve started giving praise in a more matter of fact, descriptive tone of voice, while clearly describing exactly what she’s done that I approve of. This seems to work best for us.

Finally, I also think that with younger children you do have to mix things up and there is no one miraculous answer. We also use some rewards (e.g. for practicing piano) because I’m not sure I could honestly motivate her to practice daily without this at the moment. Another thing I do that works well for us is scheduling. Knowing what she will be expected to do and when is important. And if I’m stepping up a goal or making something harder i’ve discovered it is best to tell her this in advance (e.g. the day before) so she knows to expect this. Also I sometimes plan an activity for later in the day that we have to look forward to. I make it clear that this is not a reward for good behaviour - it’s just something nice for us to do (e.g. go to the park, play in the garden, do some painting etc). But I will also schedule other learning activities that must be completed before we go and say “come on, let’s get through this super fast so we can get to the park”. And if she does not comply then I can threaten to withhold this activity. I’ve no idea if this is good or bad but it does work quite well for us.

Hi

Thanks for this thread, its been very helpful read. I have now downloaded the book as well. Coming from an asian background, praising one’s child, has not been a natural thing for me, I was brought up with lots of comparison to other kids (mainly to spur me on to do bigger and better things) and also given criticism (constructive usually but not always). My husband & I want our daughter to grow up into a self-assured and confident young woman, spurred to do better because that’s something she believes in and wants and something we encourage (not by comparison to someone else). Your review has given us some ideas, and I think it’s just as valuable for a 1-year old.

Thanks once again
BT