Book recommendations please

Hi

We’ve almost finished the bob books collection and want to stock up on some good books to develop independent reading. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Karishma

How about the lady bird books. there are diffent levels of lady bird books. We love them :blush:

Yes! We also love the Ladybird Read-It-Yourself series of books. There are four levels - Ella started reading the level 1 books at around 20-21 months and is now, at 32 months, just developing the reading stamina for the level 4 books. Other leveled readers that she LOVES are the:

Usborne First Reading books levels 2-4 (The level 1 books were too easy for her when I started buying these books.)

Oxford Reading Tree Magic Key series (The Magic Key stories start at level 5 onwards.)

I Can Read book collections (Adventures of Frog and Toad, Adventures of Harold and his Purple Crayon, Adventures of Little Bear are some of the titles in this series that we have.)

Scholastic Vocabulary Tales and Grammar Tales box sets

And she is now just getting into the MathStart series of books which introduces math concepts as well as helping her practice reading.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Excellent - thanks! Will try to check them out!

Not sure what level your DD is at but check out the “sight words easy readers” which is a combination of sight words and easier to sound out words. The font is nice and big and on the opposite side of the page as a images. We really like them. They have levels 1, 2, and 3. They videos are awesome too if your DC is still learning sights.

http://www.preschoolprepco.com/h/p/msw1/easyreaders.php (They have a full sample book of each level on this site under “screen shots”)

I have also used both Ladybird, Usborne, Scholastic and Oxford Reading Tree with my child and then a wide range of readers we got at second hand book sales and some we found in the library that she liked. The other thing that is often easy to use are the baby books you used to read your child when you first started reading to him/her as the text is usually very simple and the words relatively easy.

Here we can get early readers in most bookshops and also second hand book stores and these are the places I keep looking - you don’t have to buy a whole series and in actual fact having a lot of variety seems to work best.