Biographies for kids - Exceptional People in Sports and History

Does anyone have any recommendations for biography type books with inspirational messages for kids? I am thinking in particular of the disscussions had here on Mindset,The idea that talent and ability is not something inborn but something acheived through effort and hard work. Ian is a HUGE sports fan and loves to read about sports heroes. The books about Michael Jordan - Dream Big and Salt in His Shoes are good. He also likes Pelé King of Soccer which tells how he came from very humble begginings to be a great soccer star (I am really looking forward to the World Cup next year. He is crazy about soccer! :wacko: :yes: )

It doesn’t have to be sports related. I think it is great if he learns about other things. He is passionate about sports through. We are not into chapter books yet, but if you have recommendations i’ll take them because we will be one day and it can maybe help someone else. We also read English and Spanish. Thanks so much for your responses!!!

Have you read The Pumpkin Runner? I really liked that. Anything about Abraham Lincoln is great. I think there is a book called Clara’s Freedom Quilt. They are all excellent true stories about people who were exceptional. If I come across more I will let you know. I love reading books about Pocahontas and Squanto. I really like the book Author, A True Story and The Journey,

I am looking for my list of favorite books but I cannot easily locate it right now. I promise to keep this on my mind and let you know.

thanks so much Krista! I found those books at the library and I placed a hold. Can’t wait for them to come in. I’ll tell Ian the Monkisee family recommended them and he will be thrilled.

I have a list of favorite books on my shelf here,but I was using it for another purpose, so I have to find it and then I can recommend more.

I just read a book to my kids on Hudson Taylor from the Christian Heroes Then and Now Series. It is a chapter book, so Ian isn’t ready for it yet, but we all enjoyed it from the 6 year old to the 18 year old. We requested more and are eager to read those as well. I love to read true stories, but I tend to cry, even if they are just picture books. My kids always look to see if I am getting choked up on the words when they are touching. :blush:

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!