Bilingual child using YBCR

HI everybody,
I have a 14 months old baby, I speak spanish to her 100% and daddy 100% english, so she is watching YBCR ,she is very active, I have to interact with her a lottttt, while we watch the video , anyways,I don’t want to confused her while we watch the video I have to say the words in english(that’s where I think I will confused her).
What about flashcards on everything in the house…should I make them in english and spanish or will she get confused??

I will like to know your experiences,
thanks

Hi,

My 2 yo son is bilingual too. I have called the IHAP to ask the same question, that’s their answer :

No problem.
Tell your child in Spanish that now you are going to learn some words in Spanish and start showing the flashcards / read the book etc. in that language.
Do the same for English saying at first “let’s do some English”…
They told me that they are clever enough to understand and separate it in their brain.

The only thing that they don’t want us to do is show the flashcards in 2 languages at the same time per example don’t say “cat and gato” one after the other ! Do one sitting for each language or the to one after the other but don’t mix it.

Hope it helped ?!? So don’t worry about you English DVD’s and continue the good work.

Excellent question and answers. I have been wondering how this was done myself.

Thanks dorer,karma to you.

PY,

We are also teaching my daughter English and Spanish. We have the labels around the house in both languages. We printed all the words in English in red and all the words in Spanish in black. When we are touring the house with her we say the work in English, point to it and then say " En Espanol…" For YBCR, we are in the starter DVD, so I created a category in LR for YBCR in Spanish, that way she learns in Spanish the words she is learning with the DVD. I"m actually going to be creating a PPT for people tha don’t have LR.

Dorer,

Thank you so much for the information from the institute. I have to change some of my presentations because I was doing words in English, word in Spanish and picture.

Thanks Joha for the ideas…karma to you.