Big Surprise! Quantity Recognition!

I gave up on Doman math several months ago because I was disheartened by fail-stories. Besides, Cammie shows very little interest in participating in problem-solving. I thought the math program didn’t work. We quit before we reach “60”. We didn’t even consider the possibility that she knows the difference in small quantities like six dots and seven dots.

But just the other day, Cammie and I were playing with bingo markers and I just had a thought to show her dots. She answered three questions and was correct in all three. Encouraged, I made simple flashcards of quantities 1-10 with the bingo markers. We “tested” her again and again, making each session interesting by asking her to choose the correct answer by “kicking” it or whatever she fancies. It was our biggest surprise in all our teaching experience with her - she knows her quantities without counting!

Here’s a video. And just as always, she would be distracted or bored towards the end and would not listen to us anymore :slight_smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loJx5PZzH-k

Wow, Congrats! We had absolutely no success with our son and the dot cards, but I am trying again with my now 4 month old. It’s great to hear an occasional success story.

Oh my gosh…it is so wonderful to hear a new success in our forum.Good job mom and dad.Keep up the good work.

Its great to hear of a success story with maths. Well done Cammie.

Oh thats really nice! Congrats to you and Cammie! Could you please tell us how long was the break between the last time you showed her math and this current “testing.”

Congrats and thanks for sharing this. It fuels new hope to those like me who arent still sure it works at all.
All the best in Cammie’s further developments and keep us posted

wish i have found this site earlier. my son is 9months old and i’m crossing fingers here that he can do that as well.

nice kiddo!

Thanks for the kind words! Were happy to share the news especially to those who are skeptical about the math program.

It has been at least 4 months that we have had math lessons but recently, we showed her a dvd-video “Meet the Numbers” which shows quantities and numerals. She got the numerals memorized almost instantly (within the day of showing) but who knows, it might have also “refreshed” her sense of quantity? Here’s a video showing her knowledge of numerals. In the video, she couldn’t find the numeral 5 because it’s behind her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Vv1-xDDwg

Thank you for sharing your story. I, too, gave up with showing my son LR…about 6 months ago. I haven’t “tested” him…maybe I should…if successful, it may revive our hope, too!

After hearing your story, I decided I would ‘test’ my little dd and I have to say it worked so far. I only made ‘dot’ cards up to 12 and every question i asked her she managed to get right.

I will have to keep going.

Thanks for the inspirational story I was about to give up! And thank you to the creators of Little Math it works because i have not shown her any dot cards only LM.

Ahhh the computer works!!! :slight_smile:

That’s amazing!! Congrats

Hi,

You said she couldnt recognize 5. Actually she did recognize. She saw the reverse of 2 and is wondering if it is 5 - it looks like 5. I think so… she is so cute. Congrats.

Hi Mirra
I wonder, do you use Schichida/GD or LM math methods - or do you combine all 3 in some form or something. Also have you started music of any form (Carnatic/Classical/Hindustani) for your son? indi

Hi Indi,

At this time for math, I use just the LM. Nothing else. For music I hv just the sound tracks (no lyrics or voice-only music) of haris jayaraj :yes: of vasigara, lesa lesa etc., Those are like heaven. I too doze off if i listen in low sound…It is soo nice. He listens daily night time and dozes off.

I have purchased LM sem 2 in installment plan… But sem 2 is not ready yet. So till I get that one, and after i complete sem1, I will definetely start Shichida 65day math.

I think the shichida 65 day math is so simple…isnt it? i saw a chart of the math program…they take it from small equations for cycle 1. then bigger for cycle 2. and again refreshing cycle 1 and 2. and that is it… May be after equations we should slowly take it to making them understand < / >, fractions etc. like Doman methods. May be we should do the tweedlewink courses. and implement in home, that is if we dont go to shichida classes. Some one in my state TN, tpld me about ISP, it is in bglore. It is so similar to shichida.

** In shichida math, while teaching equations, for ex. 2 plus 2 = 4. we just have to show 4. but just say 2 plus 2 equals - then show 4. That is so easy for us too. We dont have to show lot of cards. Simply say the sum and show the answer… :smiley:

Mirra, if you have already copied a Schichida chart from somewhere, would you PM it to me. I still havent got the exact method properly - hence I am only doing the LM and GD methods with Ananya right now. I never knew abt the music bit and had always used Vishnu Sahasranamam from the time I was pregnant … but it has the same wonderful calming effect on her. I am glad I at least started with that. Since she is good at music, we even use some saralivarisam CDs for her knowledge and she enjoys them.
But this is interesting… I should do something on the Schichida lines. And btw, I have already ordered for the tweedlewink DVDs. Let me get them and I will let you know how well they work… I am absolutely sure they will - but I also use additional material that I create for Ananya

Thank you for sharing your success story. I also had stop on LM for a while. Maybe I should try again.

Cammie is so cute! Congratulations! :slight_smile:

She is adorable!! congrats.

Great Job Cammie. You r too wonderful

Thanks for the heart-warming response everyone. I just love this forum as we can give and take inspiration when needed! Reading the forum, especially success stories just gives me renewed zest to continue teaching my little one. I’m glad we’re able to give back the same kind of inspiration. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: