Bi-lingual

Hello,

I’m new here and would like some advice on how to start to teach my 4 month old reading in 2 languages. Should I do that at the same time, meaning a picture and the description in two different languages - or should I focus on one language at a time? If I should be focusing on one language at a time, what schedule should I follow to teach both. Should I alternate sessions, days, or weeks?

My husband and I talk to the baby in two different languages since the beginning, will this help or hinder the teaching?

Any information on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Welcome Besyli,
Hopefully I can help with my story. My son is bilingual from the very beginning. When he was 13 months old, I started the flash cards in English and a few months later started the same method with the other language what I use him every day (My husband is the English speaker). I have to tell you that my son can take a lot without any problem, so yours. The truth is that the English was really easy to teach, the other language was m ore difficult (that’s only my problem, because I didn’t always have the time to make the flash cards for him…) Now when he is 3.5, can read in english really good, able to decode unfamiliar words and understand what he reads…The other language is ok, but not as good as English. I am still working on it. But what important is, that he uses his reading skill in the other language.
I separated the two languages and showed him the slide shows 2-3 times a day (at the beginning).
Hope I could help. If you have any question feel free to ask.
Godd luck!